Shop stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
So, what do you sit on in your workshop? An old kitchen chair? One of those mechanic's rolling stools? Built your own? What do you like/ dislike - wheels, back rest, seat, height?

And what tasks do you do sitting down (woodworking-wise, that is.....) :)

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I used to sit on a Northern Tool height adjustable stool with a backrest. But the height adjustable part broke on it, now I don't sit so much at all.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I have about 4 bar stools stationed throughout. One is pretty tall and a good bench height. The other 3 are plain oak orphans from the house that I didn't have the heart to throw out when the wife replaced them.

They are pretty low and make good seats, props, saw horses, ladders etc.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have one of those short rolling Kobalt stools with the hydraulic height mechanism. I have been building a wooden shop stool for about 4 years now.:gar-Oo::eusa_whis I messed up the threaded rod the first time so I have to redo that. I kept the outer diameter of the main shaft too big so when I hand threaded it the threads got chewed up big time. I learned from that. Travis gave me a hard time tonight about how long this project has taken me. :rolf:

Oh well, I have to make a simple jig and maybe I'll get back to it.

Doug

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I use as follows:
(1) windsor back kitchen chair
(1) low milking style stool
(2) shop stools w/ backs
(1) folding chair occasionally

On a night like tonite I used the windsor chair while sharpening a bunch of drill bits with my Drill Doctor. It's all depending on what I'm doing. I have a bunch so my kids can hang out with me sometimes or if someone comes over for a cold one. I also use the windsor when I'm relaxing with a cigar in the shop. Heck I would have a couch for naps, if I thought that I could get away with it :rotflm:.

Jimmy:)

Glennbear

Glenn
For the moment, a wooden bar stool and a plastic lawn/patio chair. Once the shop is set up I can see a tall type stool with back coming for fine work or scrollsawing. In regards to wheels I cannot see myself using them unless I end up building a desk for paperwork/ computer use then a desk chair will come from the house. :wsmile:

alleng

New User
allen
sit????????????????:no: ...... well actualy i did some workfor a guy a couple weeks back, and he had just got a dodge grand caravan with the 3rd row seats. long story short,i helped him remove it so he would have more room,he didnt want it anymore, now i have a coutch in the shop. its pretty cool cause it reclines,nice for takin those breaks. i have it over by the wood heater

cskipper

Cathy
Since I can't spend a lot of time standing, I bought one of the WC adjustable stools with a low back when it was on sale a couple of months ago. We had been sharing one bar stool, which LOML gave up whenever I was in the shop. I can now sit comfortably at my scroll saw and the foot rest is at the right height, and he can sit while he ponders his next steps in a project. Since we both like being there and it is not an escape from the other (though I can close the door to my part of the shop) we don't have any lounging type seating.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a folding metal chair and a couple folding camp chairs but they were all too low so I made a wood stool. It is smallish and light so i can hang it on the wall when i don't need it. I turned a couple more of the maple seats but ran out of 8/4 cherry to make legs.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I have an old wooden bar stool and a office waiting room type chair. I really have no room for either. I trip over them or knock them over often. I find that I only sit when reading a ww'ing book, or somebody drops by and back when I could actually talk on the phone. I moved my scrollsaw to a regular height table so I could sit when I scroll. Otherwise I never sit down when I'm in the shop working.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
An old swivel barstool(no back). If I were to build or buy another it would definitely have a BACK! I would be afraid of tipping a tall stool with wheels but might be ok on a shorter one. I also have a couple of old office chairs (on casters) for low work or visitors:eek:ccasion1.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Plastic lawn/patio chairs because they're easy to stack aout of the way. Also a stool sturdy enough for me to stand on to reach high cabinets in garage/shop.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I made myself a simple short seat out of 2x10. 18"H by 24"L. Works for me. I do most of my layout and thinking sitting down. Don't want to over load the brain pan by doing to much at once.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin

Works great. $40 at Sam's club (they also have a shorter one with wheels - mechanic type for $20). The counter top in the shop (garage) is higher than standard kitchen cabinets, so I needed something that could adjust low if I'm not working there or high when I am.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I've got a folding bar stool from Le Target.....and I actually designed my scroll saw stand around that height....I and rest my feet on the floor, or to ease my back I can put my feet up on the scroll saw stand. I went with the backless stool so I would remember to get up and walk around a bit (from the pain in my back). If I was comfortable, I would sit there and saw all day/night - not that that is a bad thing.
:wwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS