Shop-Made Dial Indicator Holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Here we go again! From WOOD magazine October 2005. My old Walker-Turner jointer does not have jack screws, so I used the Jointer Pal jig to install the blades. This jig will be used to confirm the blades are adjusted to the correct height.

1_P1030145.jpg

I checked my blade height and found highest point was zero (outfeed table height) and variation of .005-017 inch below. Not bad for well used blades!

Close-up View:
The magazine plan specified #8 wood screw to hold the dial-indicator in place, but it did not work all that well for me. I used a 1/4'' lag bolt with a wing nut instead. The nice looking oak butch-plug next to the wing nut. Let me know if you don't know what a Butch plug is.

Magnetic Base:
The WOOD plan specified two 3/4'' diameter magnets. Most likely, some magnets are better than others, but two wasn't enough! I used a stack of three 1'' magnets on each end, and two stacks of 3/4'' magnets in the center.

Name & Date Tag - I talked about this on my post for the Router Push Pad, but here it is again for anyone who may have missed it:

A different approach for putting your name on projects. Name and date is printed using computer word processor, on standard paper. Use scissors to cut over-size label. Attach label to double-sided carpet tape. Place transparent tape over front of label. Route 3/8'' shallow slot in project. Trim label to fit in slot. Note, I made a trim jig by cutting 2-1/4'' x 3/8'' slot in piece of laminate; position slot over the label and cut with X-acto knife.

Stay tuned - one more to come :XXcompute

-Don

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
OK I'll bite, what's a butch plug?

Also it looks like you added a secondary piece of wood to the bottom of the jig. What is is and for what purpose?

KC7CN

New User
Don
OK
I'll bite, what's a butch plug?
I learned all about butch plugs from sheet a metal man! If you punch a hole in the wrong location, use a butch plug (small stainless plug with prongs) to plug up the hole. A quick fix when you butcher the job:BangHead:.

Also it looks like you added a secondary piece of wood to the bottom of the jig. What is it, and for what purpose?
I had problems gluing the magnets flush with the bottom! The easiest fix was to remove the old ones, add new material and re-drill the holes. I used Walnut for the fun of it!

-Don

M

McRabbet

I've always called a coverup like this a "Dutchman" versus a "plug" -- Dutchmen are patches used to cover intentional (and unintentional) holes or blemishes in wood, while to me a plug is usually used to cover a screw head intentionally to hide it. The football shaped patches in plywood are used to replace blemishes like knots. But I like the name "Butch", too!

Here's an example of a Dutchman used to hide a slot carrying low voltage wires in a cabinet shelf. When this was finished, it was hard to spot unless you looked very carefully (I could have done a better grain match).

100_3776.jpg

KC7CN

New User
Don
I've always called a coverup like this a "Dutchman" versus a "plug" -- Dutchmen are patches used to cover intentional (and unintentional) holes or blemishes in wood, while to me a plug is usually used to cover a screw head intentionally to hide it. The football shaped patches in plywood are used to replace blemishes like knots. But I like the name "Butch", too! .....

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember the term "Dutchman" but trust me on this - I should have stopped for the night! My fix was for an unintentional goof :gar-Cr.

I understand your comment on the grain match - hind site is always better than fore site! I always seem to forget to align the grain on screw plugs :tinysmile_cry_t:.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS