Shop looking a little more "worked in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Well, I woke up yesterday morning and it was a little chilly and completely overcast outside. I did, however, have the day off. So I got online and saw the threads by sawduster and Tom Hintz and they were both something along the lines of "I actually built something." So I thought to myself, "Robert actually built a potting table? The master of the scroll saw actually built a table? :icon_scra Ok, I've got to get some shop time in today." :rotflm:

So I went downstairs and first built a shelf for my boss at work. Nothing fancy, just 1/2" ply, took about two hours. :cool: I had to build it mostly in the driveway since I can't quite saw a sheet of plywood on the good old TS in my tiny little shop. :BangHead: There was a pretty nice NE breeze ripping down the driveway and when I was done, I looked and my entire driveway (and all of our cars :roll:) was COVERED in sawdust. VICTORY! :icon_chee:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_clap Man, it felt good!

Once the shelf was done, I decided to go in there and work on the nightstand drawer again. This proved to be pretty tough. This is my first drawer, so I was very busy screwing it all up. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: At one point I actually stuck a nail through the previously perfect front of it. :BangHead::BangHead: After a while, I was so frustrated that I threw in the towel for the day. :roll: But the good part was, that shop looks like there has been some work going on in there! Everything is covered with sawdust. My tools are scaterred all over the place. Ahhhh....... it feels good. :eusa_danc Just thought I would share a few pictures. While a lot of you are cleaning up your shops, getting them ready for the crawl, I'm covering mine with sweet sawdust! :icon_thum:rotflm:

Trent_pics_021.jpg

Trent_pics_022.jpg

Trent_pics_023.jpg

Trent_pics_024.jpg

Thanks for looking. :notworthy:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great story Trent, I think we can all relate to that feeling (if not - I expect you're selling your tools very soon... :)).

Thanks for sharing.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Great story Trent, I think we can all relate to that feeling (if not - I expect you're selling your tools very soon... :)).

Thanks for sharing.

Definitely not going to be selling the tools anytime soon. :no: Visiting skeeter really put it into perspective for me. I thought about how great it would be to have more time/money/space to devote to woodworking. I mean, I enjoy my little shop, but it is my dream to have a bigger/nicer shop one of these days. :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
As Bas said, great story, and if having tools scattered everywhere is happiness, I must be ecstatic:rotflm: as I can't find anything right now. Glad you got some shop time in.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
aww shucks trent that aint sawdust!:nah: I cleaned up yesterday and hauled 4 large [think 3 feet square] boxes and 2 trash cans of dust out. I havent emptied the dust collector yet!:gar-La; anyway I think I still have more dust than you have!:rotflm: but on that note I've been slow on work for quite a while so shop time has been plentifull!:eusa_danc love the smell and feel of a dirty ol shop.....:embaresse on another note great story and we all have days that aint great. learning how to fix the screw ups is part of the proccess so enjoy the ride man. one day you look back and laugh at some of the things you did!:icon_thum then you can learn to fix another!:rotflm:

fred

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
learning how to fix the screw ups is part of the proccess so enjoy the ride man. one day you look back and laugh at some of the things you did!:icon_thum then you can learn to fix another!

I laugh at what I did yesterday (everyday). :roll: :rotflm: ...............:roll::roll::roll:

I feel your pain Tracy. And I'm loving every minute of it! :headbang:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Definitely not going to be selling the tools anytime soon. :no: Visiting skeeter really put it into perspective for me. I thought about how great it would be to have more time/money/space to devote to woodworking. I mean, I enjoy my little shop, but it is my dream to have a bigger/nicer shop one of these days. :icon_thum
I think I may defect and start my own site - nctc.net (North Carolina Tool Collector). Sometimes I wonder what I enjoy more - making stuff, or researching, buying, installing and gloating over tools :tool:

And then I think - who cares, it's a hobby. :rolf:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Good to get some shop time in:eusa_danc

And you know a bad in the shop is better then a good day at work:rolf:
We have all been there and done that

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Fred. That place is much too clean. I did not see even a single footprint in the saw dust.

Trent, nice set-up.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Remember, we can always get together to make a mess in my garage/shop. We'll just have to keep reminding each other of your signature . . . "The ability to do woodworking no longer available in Bud Light. :eusa_doh:"

Last edited:
R

rickc

I agree with Fred. That place is much too clean. I did not see even a single footprint in the saw dust.

Trent, nice set-up.

Heck - my shop wasn't that clean when I first put it together! Of course, a lot of that is from the spider webs catching the blowing dust! However - this winter: Look out!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Remember, we can always get together to make a mess in my garage/shop. We'll just have to keep reminding each other of your signature . . . "The ability to do woodworking no longer available in Bud Light. :eusa_doh:"

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: Very true. I'd love to make some "joint sawdust." Definitely sometime soon! :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Yep, thinking back to my old shop, this one is relatively clean. :icon_scra Maybe it just seems dirty because it was almost spotless when I set it all up. :no: Ok, here's the deal. I won't clean it for........... about........... 6 months, how's that sound? It would be a heck of a commitment, but somebody has to do it. :rotflm:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
:swoon: Dare I dip my toes into the water of the DARK SIDE? I'm just worried that it will put a strain on my work, and relationships outside of woodworking. :rotflm:

Darkside work is sooooooooooooo relaxing, and it relives stress :gar-Bi
So go ahead and jump in the water is fine:icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good use of a day off. You didn't mention skinning any knuckles, and that is always a good sign.

sapwood

New User
Roger
:icon_thum:icon_thum Some days it's great to get in the shop and fire up the tools for fun. You don't haven't to actually make anything (I rarely do :rolleyes:).

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors