Shop Cold? Very Cheap Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
My former father in law heated his shop with a 55 gal drum stove, worked great. If I could figure out how to get the stack through my basement walls, I'd love to heat with wood.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for posting this to the library Jeff .:icon_thum I recall reading a reprint in Mother Earth News decades ago but that issue is buried in my collection. :gar-La; When using my planer I accumulate "fuel" quite quickly. :wsmile:

gritz

New User
Robert
Look for a "thimble" to use where the pipe passes thru the wall. That protects wood, or masonry from too much heat. A google search or two will turn up lots of pipe options. Be sure your insurance co. will sign off as most ask for a testing certification of some kind.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
If someone could email it to me I'd appreciate it. I still get the downloading too fast error whenever I try to download anything.
Thanks

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Look for a "thimble" to use where the pipe passes thru the wall. That protects wood, or masonry from too much heat. A google search or two will turn up lots of pipe options. Be sure your insurance co. will sign off as most ask for a testing certification of some kind.
My thought too..your insurance co. might have a cow if you use a homemade furnace.

Also worth checking with your municipality or AHJ for those of us that live in building-code-controlled areas.

-Mark

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
An alternative to burning loose sawdust is to save half-gallon cardboard milk or juice containers and fill them with sawdust and burn them like you would a log.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
amazing what you can do with a barrel. This is probably safer then a real wood stove. this has to layers and most wood stoves only have 1 thick layer. I say if you burn logs in this then they would burn even longer, and proably hotter then with saw dust.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I especially like the idea of the removable inner 30 gallon drum. I been gluing up panels this week and I know I have filled and emptied a 20 gallon trash can at least 15 times with planer shaving and sawdust into the burn pit outside in the back yard. Needless to say, I could have filled several 30 gallon drums instead of dumping them in the burn pit and heated my shop if I had one of these bad boys. This heater is something for me to plan on building for next year... With the price of propane I simply can not continue to afford to heat my shop with propane any longer.

Green or not, I don't care - it's cheap heat...

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
My former father in law heated his shop with a 55 gal drum stove, worked great. If I could figure out how to get the stack through my basement walls, I'd love to heat with wood.

That is sort of my problem. My shop is on the first floor of a three-story home. Running a flue to the roof would be a major project.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS