Shellac under poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I have some maple tables I was planning on putting a clear coat of shellac on them, followed by a couple coats of satin poly. I was reading the label on the shellac, and it said "not recommended as a sealer under ploy" or something like that. Am I getting ready to mess it all up? Any other suggestions? I have also considered straight poly. My customer wants the natural look on the maple.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree with using de-waxed shellac under poly. But that said, before I knew that I used regular Zinnser blond shellac 1.5# cut and then wipe-on poly on top of it, on a piece I made and the finish hasn't fallen off yet. But go de-waxed to be safe.
Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I'd echo the dewaxed, that's all I ever use. I used an amber shellac under the Oxford hybrid varnish ( poly from Target coatings that sprays well) on our mission style bed out of cherry and it has held up extremely welll for 5 years now.

DavidF

New User
David
Talking of cherry beds - what do you think of something like arm-a-cell (sp) or similar for my cherry bed. Or should I use this oportunity to start spraying?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
David,

I haven't used the product so I can't comment. My bed is a mission style with 50 balusters in the headboard and another 50 in the footboard (did I mention there are over 200 mortise & tennon joints, talk about a glue up :roll:) there was no way I was doing anything but spraying that project. IMHO there is no time like the present to spray :icon_thum . You can also control some of cherry's tendency to take a blotchy finish by spraying a light cut of shellac as a sanding sealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS