Shaving sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
I thought I'd try the shaving kits that Penn State Industries has shown on the cover of the new catalog and see if they would be easy enough for Xmas gifts this year. I just ordered the hardware and brush at first and glued up my own chokecherry burl for the handles. Came out pretty nice and didn't take too long to do so I ordered 4 more with the cocobolo to go with them.
PB130030.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice work Mike, had I been able to produce something similar I would have been tempted to turn and well seal a soap mug. :wwink:

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
That's great! Now if we can just get you to toss out that mach 3 for a nice straight razor (or even a nice double edge if the straight scares you off) and you'll be in business!

Oh, one thing I would recommend doing with your brush knots is to set them deeper than necessary. If you set them about 1/4 inch past where the knot end is covered up you'll get a lot firmer feel to the brush.. it will have the nice soft touch, but some backbone to it for loading the bristles w/ soap or cream.

Rob

New User
Rob
Looks great, I saw those on the catalog cover and thought about ordering them.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
Here is another link that has some turning supplies, but most important for this thread, Tony (owner of website below) has the best badger knots out there. I have dealt with him many times. His UK knots come from one of the most well respected companies in the brush world... you find these knots on brushes that cost hundreds of dollars... and Tony is a great guy. If you ever want to make a shaving brush, it's worth a look. He even posts a tutorial on his site showing how he does it.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_70

Rob

New User
Rob
I wish woodturningz would post more of their product online, I don't see the shaving kits there, I know you can call them and purchase but I would just as soon click a button and order.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
That's great! Now if we can just get you to toss out that mach 3 for a nice straight razor (or even a nice double edge if the straight scares you off) and you'll be in business!

Oh, one thing I would recommend doing with your brush knots is to set them deeper than necessary. If you set them about 1/4 inch past where the knot end is covered up you'll get a lot firmer feel to the brush.. it will have the nice soft touch, but some backbone to it for loading the bristles w/ soap or cream.

One of the only drawbacks with this particular 'kit' is the fact that they suggest using their bottle stopper mandrel to turn the brush handle. Once you drill the 21mm hole for the brush knot you don't have enough wood left to use the mandrel safely. It's not a long enough thread to find enough wood to secure it safely to do the turning. What I wound up doing is using a mandrel I had to attach a buffing wheel to the end of a 5/8" motor shaft. My lathe is a 1940 Craftsman wood lathe with a 5/8" shaft on the head/live stock end. Just like the Shop Smith units used to be. Luckily I found plenty of attachments for the old Shop Smiths to make the old lathe quite usable today.

Anyway...the mandrel had a 1" threaded shaft that allowed me to be able to drill a deeper hole to attach it for turning. I plan on actually recessing the brush knot deep enough on futhur work to have the flare of the brush above the knot to cover the wood on that end of the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS