Shaving Horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
SWMBO wants 2 new Windsor chairs to fill out our seating around the kitchen table. After the last two that I built I swore I wouldn't do another until I go a shaving horse. This is my humble attempt at one. It actually works and comes equipted shavings as you can see:lol:. You can see the beginings of the first chair on the table. More later.

Attachments

• 100_0388.jpg
    100_0388.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 230

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Larry,

Good looking shaving horse. See you have a good collection of spoke shaves. Chair making will be a lot easier now.

Rick Doby

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Larry,

Good looking horse. I've always wanted to make one, but at this point I don't have a use for one. I think that all hand tools are neat and I'm trying to use them more instead of power tools.

Good luck with the horse and chairs.

Jimmy:)

childe

New User
Chris
I'd like to know what a shaving horse is, and how it works? I'm assuming that it has something to do with shaving out the seat of a chair.

Chris

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Chris, its a device for holding pieces of wood (like spindles for a chair back) so that a spokeshave or draw knife can be used to shape them. You sit on the bench part and use your foot to put pressure on the lever that in turn makes the head hold the work piece in place. You can do the same thing on a vice but you are constantly opening and closing it. The shaving horse saves time and allows the user to sit while he works.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Great job on the horse Larry.:icon_thum Any way you could post a few more pix.One of those would work great with my walkingsticks and cane's.

jglord

New User
John
The shaving horse looks great! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'd also like to see some more pictures and, if you can, plans or a link to a site showing plans. :icon_thum

Thanks.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Good lookin' horse, hoss!! I really like your design for the top jaw clamp, using a taper peg to secure it, but making it changeable for other work!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Windsor chairs are in my future (I hope) but I need to get a good froe first and learn how to use it!! Hope to start on walking sticks this winter.

Go

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
John, Just Google shaving horse. There are oodles of different designs and lots of pictures. Mine is loosly based on one in a chair making book (can't remember the name) by Drew Langsner. I'm going to modify mine a bit by shortening the bench part a bit and putting more splay in the legs. After just a weekend using it I can see more uses than just chair making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS