Sharpening again and getting a lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanesJeff

New User
Jeff Stikeleather
I will be getting my first wood lathe by the end of the year. I know little but know that sharpe tools are important. I have been looking at methods and found one facinating. Using buffing type wheels and special grease type compounds. Maybe this is just honing but it sounds good. I realize that a gouge in your gouge has to be ground out but day to day fine tuning is the real need ... I think??? Help.

I am thinking seriously about the Grizzly G0462 16" 2HP lathe. Looks like Jet and Delta!!! and of course considerable cheaper.

Thanks,

Jeff

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I use a regular slow speed grinder, and free hand most of my tools. I do keep a fine diamond stone to do some minor touch ups and edge refinement.
My skew chisel is very sharp :oops: :oops: DAMHIKT :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

jtdums

New User
Jim
I was tought to use a fine touch on a 1350 rpm 8" grinder with a fine wheel to sharpen my tools. It is also worth the investment in a jig like the wolverine to help control sharpening for us new turners.
I bought a 14" Jet lathe used for my first lathe and have been very happy with it. Of course I now want bigger, but that is just the nature of the beast...

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ahem Eagle. We may need an intervention after that statement. If you are a lowly turner, then I must be living in the bottom of a well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Ahem Eagle. We may need an intervention after that statement. If you are a lowly turner, then I must be living in the bottom of a well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

No, you didn't read my post correctly
I am but a lowly pen turner and I use a diamond stone on HF chisels.

On most turning sites, penturners are not REALLY turners.You are not a REAL turner until you make bowls, whether they hold soup or not.
Actully I am not a turner at all.I am pencrafter who uses many different tools, the lathe being just one of them and in truth, I think a monkey could be taught to turn a pen.
Now making the blanks I do, sanding, fininshing that's something else.
The mechanical aspect of "turning" a pen on a lathe is not rocket science.

sapwood

New User
Roger
No, you didn't read my post correctly

I stand corrected and also better informed. And though I have no turning skills or tools, I know you are a highly esteemed craftsman as evidenced by your postings and reputation.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors