Shaper question

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have a Mini Max Classic combination machine. I've never really needed to use the shaper on this machine but I have used other shapers in the past. The spindle on the machine is 4" tall 1 1/4" dia. I'd like to use a spiral jointing cutter head on it that's 4 3/4" tall. Should I have any problems? I expect I will need to get a longer top bolt. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I invest in a cutter head.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I am looking at your plan from a safety standpoint. Not sure if I would trust a longer bolt to secure a cutter head that is higher than the top of the spindle. My Hammer shaper has a 100 mm spindle height (4") below the top spacer.
Try posting your question over on the Sawmill Creek site. There are lots of pros and shaper users there that may shed some more light.
My spiral head cutter is from Amana and about 3 3/4" high.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
That shouldnt be a problem, maybe if you were stacking cutters and had more weight at the top, Id be concerned, but there are no forces wanting to "lift" the cutterhead, the bolt merely locks it mechanically to the spindle and the rotating mass is very minimal and equal all the way up. Make certain, however to use a Grade 8 bolt minimum and a thick, hardened washer.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I am looking at your plan from a safety standpoint. Not sure if I would trust a longer bolt to secure a cutter head that is higher than the top of the spindle. My Hammer shaper has a 100 mm spindle height (4") below the top spacer.
Try posting your question over on the Sawmill Creek site. There are lots of pros and shaper users there that may shed some more light.
My spiral head cutter is from Amana and about 3 3/4" high.
Thanks, Mike.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
That shouldnt be a problem, maybe if you were stacking cutters and had more weight at the top, Id be concerned, but there are no forces wanting to "lift" the cutterhead, the bolt merely locks it mechanically to the spindle and the rotating mass is very minimal and equal all the way up. Make certain, however to use a Grade 8 bolt minimum and a thick, hardened washer.
Thanks Chris, that makes sense to me. noted about the grade 8 bolt and washer.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors