Shakin' off the sawdust for today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

banjo mike

New User
Mike
Howdy everybody!

I just got in from a little sawin' and stumbled onto the site after I choked down dinner. I'm literally still "shakin' off the sawdust" - no joke!

Looks like a great site and community here, so I'll be back later when I have the time to visit a spell. I think the wife still has a few "honey-dos" lined up for me this evening, but I'll definitely check in again soon.

While I'm here, I want to mention that if there are any craftsmen members in my vicinity (Burlington-Graham area) I may have some reasonably priced rough-cut lumber for you. Purchased a band saw mill a few years back with great aspirations to saw and build my own home and furniture, but as most of you know, holding down a full-time job makes such ambitious goals more a dream than a reality.

Although I do keep a lot of what I saw to use myself, from time-to-time (like now) I have more lumber than I need. If you have some specific needs that include red or white oak 1x's or 2x's, or maybe maple or poplar, let me know. One caveat though, I have a really odd work schedule and if you need it "right now" you'll probably be better off getting it from someone available 24/7.

I also can do some custom milling for you if you have a really flexible deadline and don't have a problem with long-range planning. I can bring the mill to you, or you can bring me the timber. Right now I have about 40 logs to saw, and will have to chisel away at them piecemeal until I get them done. Some of that lumber will also be for sale.

While all of my boards are air-dried, some of them were sticked and stacked for 2 years before they were moved into sheds. They've been there for another 6-8 years, so they will be plenty dry and give even a commercial planer a workout!

OK, gotta run, but email me if you need more info on the lumber or milling.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey there Mike! Welcome to our gang. There are quite a few members here in the Piedmont Triad and we look forward to seeing pic's and even meeting you at one of our shop crawls, picnics or lunches at the Moose Cafe in GSO.

We hope you'll share your knowledge and feel free to ask questions.

tar1heel

New User
RJ
Hello Mike. Welcome to our friendly site. There are several members in your area and I'm right here in Graham as well. I may want to discuss some lumber purchases with you...maybe after the Christmas holiday when we have a little more time. As b4man mentioned, there is a Triad group that meets for lunch on the third Thursday at Moose Cafe in Greensboro. If you can make it you will meet several local members. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. Visit often and post pictures of your work.

banjo mike

New User
Mike
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! Looking forward to meeting many of you, but right now the Thursday thing in GSO happens while I'm working my paying job. Maybe I'll get there eventually. Sounds like fun!

tar1heel, shoot me an email after the holidays and we'll check my lumber piles to see if I have anything you need. I'm off here shortly to deliver some beautiful cherry boards I sawed yesterday for a co-worker and friend in Greensboro, and then I have a date with a liter of MoviPrep. If anyone here knows what that is, you also know I probably won't be back to the forum for a day or so...

Gonna be a long night! :(

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Mike. I'm not too far from you, down in Liberty. You mentioned you've been sawing some beautiful cherry. What species of cherry is it, and was it locally grown? Just curious.

Bill

banjo mike

New User
Mike
Hey Bill!

According to the friend who brought the logs over, it's native wild cherry. He cut it from his place on the outskirts of Greensboro.

He's decided not to saw all of the logs, so we worked out a barter arrangement for my milling. I'm going to saw the remaining logs for myself in hopes that there is no metal in them. Every nail strike is a $30 saw blade, but with any luck the timber is clear. The first two logs were, but they were upper trunk. If these turn out as nice as the first two, I'll have some beautiful wood for a project or two. Might even part with some of it later after it's dried...

BTW Bill- You don't happen to own a sawmill do ya? Seems there's a Clemmons down your way that mills.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hey Bill!

According to the friend who brought the logs over, it's native wild cherry. He cut it from his place on the outskirts of Greensboro.

He's decided not to saw all of the logs, so we worked out a barter arrangement for my milling. I'm going to saw the remaining logs for myself in hopes that there is no metal in them. Every nail strike is a $30 saw blade, but with any luck the timber is clear. The first two logs were, but they were upper trunk. If these turn out as nice as the first two, I'll have some beautiful wood for a project or two. Might even part with some of it later after it's dried...

BTW Bill- You don't happen to own a sawmill do ya? Seems there's a Clemmons down your way that mills.

Don't you mean - every nail / porcelain insulator / glass coke bottle / old starter / big rocks / old dry deer bones / razor aero tip / musket ball / barbwire / unidentifiable metal and glass objects etc... is a $30.00 blade? That's just a little of what I found in logs that destroy blades. As you already know yard / non forest trees are a crap shoot and often full of wind shake especially cherry and lots of knots. However - sometimes you get lucky / other times it's hardly worth making into firewood... What possess people to pound nails into trees is beyond me "Look at that nice tree... here lets pound some nails into it.... now ain't that better".

Welcome to NCWW :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS