Setting up my First Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deacon303

New User
Erin
I posted this terrible picture in my introduction post thread, but wanted to post here too to get some advice or helpful tips. This is my area:

20160321_143151.jpg

Obviously, nothing is set up yet, but I am going to be building my first workbench, which will be attached to the wall there over those metal cabinets. It will be a framed wall mount with peg board to hold tools and supplies, and the work area will fold up to cover that and get the work area out of the way. I am planning to use cleats to attach it to the studs - which are marked with white paint - and have the work area fold out over the metal cabinets. It was suggested that the legs come out and fold out onto the floor, so I will be doing that. The legs will fold in and store on the bottom of the work space.

As of right now, I don't have many tools, and what I do have are old. I have a driver that is less than a year old, otherwise, my tools are getting up there. I am in the process of going through the garage to claim tools my father had in there so I can see what I have and what needs to be replaced or restored. I do plan on getting some hand tools because I do see immense value in them and would like to know how to use them. And over the years I have gotten pretty good at restoring old objects like tools.

Anyway, as you can see, my work space is small. When my car is pulled in, it is right there in the word space and will need to be pulled out when I am using the space. I intentionally took this picture with the car there so the space could be seen with it. I don't have a ton of back up space, but can use the space my car is in in the photo when needed, as long as it can moved to put the car back. I don't own the house (I moved home to help my mom since she has some disabilities and my father had to be moved to a nursing home) so I sort of have to work with what I have.

I am very much a beginner. I've not done woodworking before, just minor repairs around the house. It has always fascinated me, though, and I decided to teach myself. This workbench will actually be my first full on project that isn't a restoration.

Weight of everything is a consideration. I'm 5'9" and fairly strong, but as a woman I know my limitations. This past year has taught me I'm not a kid anymore, and while I do have more strength than your "average" female at the coffee house (I have a history as an armored car guard which is more physically demanding than most know, and I have dead lifted my father off the floor), my days of lifting heavy weights are over.

Anything I need to consider, or anything that will make my life easier? This is my first shop, so I know it won't perfect. But I'd like it to be functional for at least smaller items.

Thanks!

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Wheels.

While there are lots of things to consider (there is plenty to read online), given your small space, you will be rolling your car out into the driveway before doing any work in the shop. As such, get everything you can on locking casters. Machines are along the wall during the week. It's spread out on the weekend (and all the following week when you realize your project is taking way longer than expected).

The only exception to this would be a workbench. Might want to keep that firmly planted to the ground along the wall (or go with a flip wheel solution).

Anyway, that's my contribution.

Good luck! Have fun. Be safe.

PS - Oh, yeah. Power. Unless you are planning on 100% neanderthal woodworking, you can never have too many electrical receptacles.

John Harris

New User
John
Welcome to the forum. Have you ever used peg board? I've used it plenty and can't stand the stuff. The holes tear out. The holders fall off. I would suggest hanging a piece of plywood and making your tool holders out of wood and screws. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. Just my 2 cents.

Deacon303

New User
Erin
I have used peg board, although it has been a very long time. I may look into your idea of the plywood. Honestly, nothing I'm going to put in there is going to be super heavy, small clamps, cups for often used and hard to store small parts, screwdrivers, stuff like that. Anything heavy is going to go underneath. I figure, if it fails, I'll try something a little more permanent.

Deacon303

New User
Erin
PS - Oh, yeah. Power. Unless you are planning on 100% neanderthal woodworking, you can never have too many electrical receptacles.

That is going to be my biggest challenge. I've never seen a garage with this few outlets, but I think I have enough if I use powerstrips.

cpw

New User
Charles
Erin,

Welcome to the board.

I started out in a one car garage with a Delta/Rockwell table saw/jointer combo machine that was older than I am, a couple of drills, a router, and a few crappy hand tools. It's amazing what you can do with just a few tools when that is all you have. Everything had to fit in one corner across from the foot of the stairs when I wasn't working so my wife could get her can inside.

Do yourself a favor and have an electrician in to add some receptacles. Find one the does free estimates. It probably won't be as expensive as you imagine.

If possible, put your lighting on one circuit, and then have two circuits of outlets - one for your tools and one for your vacuum and/or dust collection system. That's assuming that initially all of your tools will be 110v (standard wall current). Presumably, you'll only be using one tool at a time, but you will probably want to also run some sort of dust and chip collection system at the same time, and running both on the same circuit could overload the circuit and pop the breaker. I had that problem with my router in my first shop until I had a friend add a circuit of outlets. Have some, if not all of them mounted at the 4-foot level for easy access.

Another thing to consider given your space limitations is to think about having mobile tools. This is especially important when you start getting into table saws, jointers, band saws, and the like. There are table-top versions of these machines, but they have their limitations, and tend to be lower in quality. Plus, when space is limited you still need a way to set them up, use them, and get them out of the way.

There's an overwhelming amount of information available to help you get started. NC Woodworker is a great resource. If someone here doesn't know the answer it is probably not worth knowing. I have learned a lot by watching videos. Like a lot of us, I started out watching Norm Abram on PBS but the internet is exploding with websites and YouTube channels from guys and gals who want to share their knowledge of the craft.

http://www.startwoodworking.com/getting-started/season-one
http://www.startwoodworking.com/lists/5-awesome-small-shops
http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/roll-away-workshop

http://woodgears.ca/beginner/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel/featured
I don't know what his educational background is, but Matthias is an engineer with a passion for woodworking. Some of his projects are pretty advanced. He even builds his own tools, but you can learn a lot from just watching him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/stevinmarin/featured
Steve Ramsey's Woodworking for Mere Mortals is a fun channel. It's kinda woodworking on a budget.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AprilWilkersonDIY
April is cool. She explains what her channel is all about in her intro video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rusticman1973/featured
Izzy Swan at Think Woodworks is another woodworking on a budget kind of channel.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Lots of guys have garage shops, but inevitably I fear your car will not be a resident for long!!
I've seen videos by Norm and some others which show innovative ideas on setting up a garage shop.

Obviously everything centers on keeping everything along the walls.
Space saving, mobile machines and storage are the main issues, of course.
Good luck. My best advise: "Buy no tool before its needed!"

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Hello Erin, I have not allowed a car in my garage for a long time. My husband has gotten over it. Mobile bases. Wall hung storage. Get everything you can on a Mobil base and on the walls. Whenever you are considering a new tool consider space and mobility.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Welcome Erin,
I would not attach the workbench to the wall. It's never in the right place the first time around.
Don't stick the workbench in the corner. That wall will be severely limiting. Even a few feet off the corner wall will help greatly.

Mobile bases are the way to go. My shop shares a 2 car garage with the car so I can sympathize with you.

Deacon303

New User
Erin
Welcome Erin,
I would not attach the workbench to the wall. It's never in the right place the first time around.
Don't stick the workbench in the corner. That wall will be severely limiting. Even a few feet off the corner wall will help greatly.

Mobile bases are the way to go. My shop shares a 2 car garage with the car so I can sympathize with you.

It won't be all the way over in the corner, I want it toward the left more on the drywall area because the outlets are there. I figure it will be easier to plug things in and buy me some wiggle room when I need to move around.

Right now wall mounted is the only way I can do it. I can't leave the car out in the driveway because my car is one of three and there is a car out there already. It doesn't move much (this is a very long story I won't get into here), so if I leave my car out there it won't be easy to get it out of the driveway when I need it (without tearing up my lawn, anyway). I do hope to get some wooden horses or something to work away from the bench if I need to. But for the immediate future, I don't have much wiggle room on the placement of the workbench.

Deacon303

New User
Erin
Dont ever drill holes the way the gal in the video did. All I could think of was the drill bit going through the board and right into her thigh for about another 2"

True that! No, I am far too chicken for any of that. I like to keep tools away from my body as best I can. I am accident prone, so I tend to take precautions.

Deacon303

New User
Erin
Just curious... has anyone ever tried the utility board from the Container Store instead of peg board? It's made of metal. You need to use special containers, but I'm thinking I can rig things for small tools, and the stuff they have for it may be good for some items I'd want to keep in it.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Just curious... has anyone ever tried the utility board from the Container Store instead of peg board? It's made of metal. You need to use special containers, but I'm thinking I can rig things for small tools, and the stuff they have for it may be good for some items I'd want to keep in it.

Not tried the Container Store utility board, but I do use the Gladiator system from Sears (think you can get at Lowes and other places too, but Sears had biggest selection at the time) picked up at Black Friday when it was buy 1 get 1, and they have lots of handy storage for tools and other items. Do you have a link to the Container Store item you are looking at? Searched their site but way too many things listed there.

pviser

New User
paul
I completely agree with John and Chris: use 3/4" plywood on top of stud-anchored furring strips. I would run the plywood down to the floor for additional strength, but this is probably unnecessary. Use French cleats to secure anything with significant weight. An arrangement of open mini-cabinets - all French cleated - for various categories of tools allows you to add some depth to the storage, greatly increasing capacity. All of this is easily redone and rearranged as your interests and skills evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS