Selling Your Work Locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
There was some talk a few weeks ago on here about several of you getting together in a business relationship and sharing some resources, and such. This got me thinking, and while at Black Lion (http://www.blacklion.com/) in Pineville I began to ask questions about renting space. While I'm probably not the one to steer any effort like this (as I don't have anything to sell right now!), I figured I'd at least throw this out for discussion.

I was thinking that if five to ten of us got together in some capacity and pooled our "products" that we would likely have a very interesting offering in the marketplace. My initial thoughts were the semi-pro or serious-hobbyist woodworker who could turn out a couple of pieces a year would be able to get their products to the market for a reasonable fee and have the opportunity to make some money.

In very preliminary talks with Black Lion is sounds like a single space there is about $550/mo. That probably isn't a horrible rate ... but only if the traffic is enough to warrant it and sales can keep up. I was lucky enough to find a tenant there and we chatted a bit. She said Black Lion was excellent, but the economy is hurting (heard that before?). She was in a position of just breaking even at Black Lion (except during the Christmas months). She also recommended that I check out Metrolina Expo (http://www.metrolinatradeshowexpo.com/), as her business there was booming during the 4 days a month it was open, and the fees were minimal (don't quote me, but I thinks he said $100/day). The catch with Metrolina is that someone must be there to sell the items, collect money, and such for 4 days in a row.

In any event ... would an arrangement like this be of interest to anyone? Does anyone have products they want to sell? Might be worth a shot if we could pool our resources.

Could be interesting ... I'd like to hear your thoughts.

timf67

New User
Tim
I have always wanted to see what the general population though of my stuff. I had one experience where I donated a cutting board to a charity auction and I ended up winning it (buying back my own donation!) for a mere $20. The wood was worth more than that. So with that experience in mind and with my lack of time to devote to turning out a steady stream of product I don't think I could even support 1/5th of the rental for Black Lion. However, if there are enough folks I might still give it a go.

timf67

New User
Tim
...Oh, and I forgot to mention my thoughts on the Metrolina Expo. When I go there, I go looking for a deal - where I can get something for less than it would cost me to make it. I doubt we could sell quality product at a decent margin there but I could be wrong.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Interesting idea.
How would the cost and space allocation of the booth be determined?
Is it a month-to-month deal or do you have to contract for a period of time?
Are there other any charges involved? Does BL get a percentage of sales, etc.?
Also, there are other Blacklion type places around to look at.

If there is interest I'd be up for giving it a try.
Say start in September to get ready for the holiday season.

pete

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
All great questions ... and at this point I don't know. Some calls will need to be placed. Maybe we can get a set of questions laid out, and them split up the effort of calling places.

Regarding Metrolina ... the lady I spoke with said there is a "nice" section and a "garage sale" section. Obviously, we'd want to be in the nice section. She seemed to think that custom furniture at a premium price would sell there (as that is what I told her it would be) ... then again, what's she know or I know? It needs research.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I've not talked to Black Lion so I don't know their contract details but most emporium stores take 10% of sales in addition to the rent. This allows for packaging, processing the sale, etc. At some it covers credit card cost at others the cc cost is pasted on to you. Again in general, emporium's usually require a year's lease.
Rob

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Regarding Metrolina ... the lady I spoke with said there is a "nice" section and a "garage sale" section. Obviously, we'd want to be in the nice section.

I haven't been there in a few years but there is a "Nice" section with some fairly expensive and nice stuff (mostly antique). However, it was hard to get a space in that area. I spoke with a few people from the "garage sale" section who were waiting/trying to get into the "nice" section. Like I said, that was a few years ago. Things might have changed.

pete

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Let me throw these selling ideas out for consideration. Mainly for two reasons. It is expensive to have someone sell your work and work gets damaged or lost once it leaves your shop.

How about a Studio Tour/Sale?

They have them all around the state. The tours that come to mind are the Toe River group, Asheville area and Chatham county. They are promoted by email, postcard mailings, flyers, CL and press releases. Very often Several craftsmen will show out of one shop. You would need to have a concentration of shops so that people could reasonably drive to them. Maybe some members could try and get in on them to test the waters if no one has done that already.

The other is to have a weekend event where woodworkers gather to sell their work. This would be similar to the show the Greensboro Pottery group puts on at the Farmers market. It has developed a great following over the years. This would be the more intensive method regarding money and effort.

However, I have to say that trying to sell wood products in NC is a tough row to hoe. The economy for retail sales of handmade goods that cost more than $20.00 and less than 1000.00 is ugly at best. With the proliferation of How-to shows, everyone thinks they could make things for the cost of materials and the imported wood items are getting better and cheaper all the time, plus al ot of them are coming in under the guise of "Fair Trade" so they have the added "doing good" bump that is hard to compete with.

With all that said, I think Studio Tours have many advantages of lower cost, buyers get to interact with the artist, interested buyers and with work it could develop into an anticipated event.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The Studio Tour/Sale is interesting ... never heard of it. Might not really be a competing idea, but a whole new opportunity to drum up business.

To be honest, my fear with many of the best craftspeople is that they are excellent at what they do, but HORRIBLE sales people. From presentation techniques to actual selling. A bigger problem is that some actually think they are great sales people ... but have no earthly idea on how to increase sales without doubling their effort -- or worse, they think they are great, but actually are just par for the course.

I also believe that many of the artistic pieces are not priced correctly. Yes, they are hard to put a price on ... but that doesn't mean you should be giving it away. Sales of art should not be an empathetic activity ... art buyers probably don't always share the wallet that you have and when they want it ... well, they really want it! Removing the creator from the sale could actually drive up the price and help turn a profit.

Like I said before... I don't have much (well, anything) to sell (right now), but with economics what they are and with the wealth of resources between all of us, there might be several things that we (as a community) could pull together and in the end help fill each others pockets a bit (with the green stuff, not just saw dust).

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Here's another one ...

What if we were able to create a website where you could post your items for sale. Again, it would benefit from many artisans bringing together their various pieces --- which should attract more prospects. For a minimal fee each, we could have a shared presence on the Internet that's professional, central, consistent, maintained, and updated. That could be the virtual storefront for our wares.

With multiple people joining together, we could purchase online ads, print professional business cards (nothing off the printer on your desk!), and make flyers. If that worked well, the group could occasionally do trade shows under the storefront name (again to advertise) and begin to co-brand items to encourage sales. If the storefront had a quality control on products offered, I'd also imagine it could be really ad value to the products because not just anything would be sold there -- we'd set some quality expectations, warranty offerings, and such to reduce the risk of a purchase.

(And yes, I'm aware of some other sites that do this type of thing ... but many are just cheesy)

Anyway ... think on that one too.

timf67

New User
Tim
To build on the website idea, there is a site called Etsy.com (not to be confused with EBAY) which lets craftspeople sell their wares nationally. I found the site when I was shopping for a baby name bracelet for my wife for mother's day. While there I looked at the woodworking section and saw some nice (and some average) stuff. I don't know the fees involved, but it gives you a place to sell your wares and it has a lot of exposure.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm familiar with Etsy (been known to borrow an idea from there). It's good, but just too much for me. I was thinking a bit smaller, and more specialized ... maybe even just regional craftspeople/woodworkers to start with. (This idea isn't thought out well yet)

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The first paragraph on the black lion site indicates this might not be the place you guys are looking for. It uses the phrases "affordable prices" and "deep discounts". That tells me that people who go there are looking for a deal. If you are selling fine handcrafted items, that is not a good match. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to sell, but were I looking to sell fine handcrafted nik-naks (boxes, bottle stoppers, pens, bowls etc) I would be looking at the tourist areas on the coast. Each time we've gone (Corolla and Emerald Isle), we have spent time some time shopping in the area that have a lot of small shops with crafts. There is always some cheap stuff - t-shirts, post cards, etc. But there is usually a pretty good assortment of handcrafted stuff. We bought our wind chime at one of those...$80, IIRC, for a coupla copper pipes, string and a chunk of wood. The stores there are always looking for unique items that you can't get elsewhere. People on vacation have time to shop and will rationalize purchase because they're on vacation.

Just my 2c

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The first paragraph on the black lion site indicates this might not be the place you guys are looking for. It uses the phrases "affordable prices" and "deep discounts". That tells me that people who go there are looking for a deal.

Black Lion is a little up-scale actually and nothing is cheap in there (that I've seen). Not at the top of the "elite" market, but fairly high ($3500 couches, $2500 recliners, $500 statues, ... all the way down to $250 handbags and $30 candles). However, that may not the best. I just happened to be in their store (my dad insists on visiting each time he comes to town). They are very clean, up-scale, air conditioned, well maintained and professionally run -- but not super cheap.

As for product ... in my mind I was picturing chairs, dressers, custom turnings, and such. Things close to the "fine" end of woodworking, rather than the hobby (for that kind of outlet). But really anything is possible -- and that will dictate the best outlet. My buddy was expressing interest in selling some pens, and I know some of you guys have some amazing scrollsaw and carvings (all of which could travel just about anywhere and shipping is a non-issue)

The coast is interesting ... I've never been to the NC coast, so I don't know squat about it. Anyone know of any places? What do they sell?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
My .02-

I think the studio tours is a great idea. I've actually been to the (art) gallery crawls during the 1st Friday? of each month here in Charlotte and they are always well attended. A furniture/scultpture/turnings type studio tour could really drum up some business if done right. I also like the idea of creating a internet sales space for multiple artisians, however, the criteria for objects sold needs to be consistant accross the board. If it's high end stuff, gotta stick to those type of items. All of this is very interesting as I've been talking with both Jeremy and Pete about different sales options. I've always been impressed with places like The Grovewood Gallery and even The Wooden Stone up in Davisdon. In Berea, KY (a town committed to art and craft) they have a really large Artisian center that's right off the main HWY. However, it gets pretty touristy. I think that's the million dollar question -how to you draw crowds to sell high quaility woodworking?

M

McRabbet

Jeremy,

Probably the best opportunity to sell custom made pieces of woodwork are through the membership in the Southern Highland Craft Guild, based in Asheville. First, their membership is juried, so you need to be pretty good. They have two shows each year at the Asheville Civic Center (one starts tomorrow and runs through Sunday and the other one is in mid-October). They also have five shops and a permanent gallery and shop at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville.

Check out their website for more information and events.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Out of curiosity I emailed Metroliner Expo to see what they charged for space.
Here;s the response:
>>Dear Pete

Antique Village and Piccadilly Lane at Metrolina Tradeshow Expo.
In Antique Village we have 13 free-standing buildings that act as stores for over 50 independently owned businesses selling quality crafts, antiques, furniture, rugs and more.
Piccadilly Lane offers 112 units where permanent vendors setup and sell a variety of treasures.

Antique Village spaces are $180.00 a month (12x16)
Piccadilly Lane spaces are $75.00/single(91/2x10) and $150/double a month

Feel free to visit the ICA Show website at www.icashows.com to get an idea of what is here the first weekend of every month.

If you are interested please call Robyn @ 704-596-4650

Thank You,
Robyn Sawyer<<

Seems pretty reasonable considering the amount of traffic they get.

pete

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jeremy,

Probably the best opportunity to sell custom made pieces of woodwork are through the membership in the Southern Highland Craft Guild, based in Asheville. First, their membership is juried, so you need to be pretty good. They have two shows each year at the Asheville Civic Center (one starts tomorrow and runs through Sunday and the other one is in mid-October). They also have five shops and a permanent gallery and shop at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville.

Check out their website for more information and events.

Rob--------not only is their membership juried, you have to live in a certain geographical are to even be qualified to apply for membership.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS