Segmented Bowl Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
A friend of mine contacted me about how to repair a black walnut segmented bowl.

bowl5.jpg

View image in gallery

seam.jpg

View image in gallery

I have some ideas, but thought I'd ask around here to see if I'm in the ballpark. My Thought:

Cut the bowl to complete the separation, sand the glue joint to clean with 100 grit on a flat surface, then glue with titebond 2 or 3. Keeping things aligned during clamping will be the challenge.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I've never done a repair of this sort, but I'm thinking like you are Matt. Is the problem that the bottom board is a solid piece and warping?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I would use a heat gun and a mud knife to separate it if possible, cutting it off only as a last resort. What can you use as a reference for a square cut?

erasmussen

New User
RAS
It looks like each ring and the bottom are all made from a single piece if the grain is not running the same way then the joints will always be a problem.
It might be easier to just make a new bowl.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
You guys are seeing the same pictures that I am seeing. This was a request for advice from 600+ miles away so I have not actually looked at the bowl in person.

It looks to me like the top two rings are segmented, and the bottom two rings may be solid. If it is the bottom ring(s) warping, then many repairs over time will have to happen, or get a new bowl.

As for cutting it, I was thinking tall fence on a band saw, and then kind of roll it through the blade against said fence. Keeping things aligned during the reglue will be problematic at best but I still think it's worth a try no?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
As for cutting it, I was thinking tall fence on a band saw, and then kind of roll it through the blade against said fence. Keeping things aligned during the reglue will be problematic at best but I still think it's worth a try no?

Matt, DON'T try that. :no::no::no: I tried to do that on mine and about lost a few fingers. :swoon:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm no bowl turner, but I'd think the issue here is that the solid segments may not have been fully dried before gluing/turning. The safest way I would think to separate them would be a Japanese pull saw in a vise. Minimal kerf & danger. If the age of the bowl dictates it I'd let is cure on out & then plane flat & reconnect. Lotta work.......

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Dennis,

I like your idea much better. I was thinking put it in a vise and use a handsaw. When I tried to cut an already turned bowl on the BS, it just started spinning as soon as it touched the blade, then it ended up shooting the bowl out of my hands and I almost put my hand into the blade. :saw:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I would still try to heat the glue before sawing, even with a handsaw. BTW, my only trip from my shop to the ER was due to a Japanese saw, cutting something large and round because I thought it would be the safest way. It's not just safety I am thinking of, though. Unless the kerf is prefectly planar, you could end up with a lot more work to get it meeting back up properly.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was thinking upside down using some bench dogs (3 minimum) and a cushion or deadwood block to prevent scuffing the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS