Seeking Advice

Audra

New User
Audra
My son brought home a chair from their wedding in which he broke one of the legs. It is a slightly tapered leg with hex bolts that go through the top corner at a cut off angle on two sides of the leg. I milled comparable wood, cut the angles, and drilled the holes. However, I'm unable to get the threaded insert to fully set into the holes. Hoping not to purchase more tools as I don't intend to build furniture but want to fix this chair for him. I live in Durham, NC. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or advice on building this replacement chair leg. Thanks for any suggestions :)

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you using an insert that threads into the hole or one that is pressed/hammered into place?

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could you share a couple photos of the chair. That would help us help you a little better.

Audra

New User
Audra
I think is should thread into the hole. Just watched a video and he advised putting two nuts on the insert tightly to be able to turn into the wood. Pictures of the other good back leg, the broken one and the one in progress.

The video also recommended using as much of the existing wood piece as possible and inserting a dowel to connect the two. Do you think I would be better off doing that? Would it harm the integrity of the leg?

Attachments

• IMG_2171.jpeg
    IMG_2171.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2170.jpeg
    IMG_2170.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 147

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Running a dowel is one of the best fixes.
Can't tell from the picture, but you may need to fan a new piece and carefully splice it in with a dowel.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I would find a bolt that will thread into the threaded insert. Then add a jamb nut to the bolt, thread the bolt in so it doesn't protrude past the insert, tighten the jamb nut against the insert, then you can use a wrench or socket and ratchet to turn the bolt, thus turning the insert to spin it into the wood farther. This is all assuming the hole for the insert is sized correctly. I'm in Chapel Hill and I work in Durham. You're either welcome to bring it to my shop and I can help you or you can get it to me in Durham and I'll see if I can get it fully set in for you.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I think is should thread into the hole. Just watched a video and he advised putting two nuts on the insert tightly to be able to turn into the wood. Pictures of the other good back leg, the broken one and the one in progress.

The video also recommended using as much of the existing wood piece as possible and inserting a dowel to connect the two. Do you think I would be better off doing that? Would it harm the integrity of the leg?

No do not use a dowel.

Audra

New User
Audra
Where do you live in Durham? I live near Riverside HS near Rose of Sharon Rd. I can fix this for you if you come by.

Dan
Hi Dan, I am in SW Durham, Southpoint area. I may be able to get to N. Durham on Friday. Can you share your email to have an offline conversation? Thanks so much, Audra

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
email:

danmart77@aol.com

I am here in the shop or home all day. I will be at the Picnic on Saturday if you are going please just bring along the leg to the event.

Attachments

• Dan 2.jpg
    Dan 2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Dan.jpg
    Dan.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS