Second generation wood motor from Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Ok...I can never let anything alone... After finishing the first generation of the wood motor from the Steebar plans and almost completely redoing the plans to make them actually to scale, I added my own ideas to the second one I built. I tapered the fins, moved the drive motor to the small center gear and changed the 1 rpm to a 5 rpm motor, added a spark plug, cam and microswitch and now have a working spark plug in the compression stroke...

Secondgenwoodmotor.jpg

The end of the plug has a white LED that 'fires' when the piston is inthe compression stroke. You can see it lit inthe picture.

By moving the motor to the center gear, it made the whole assembly run a lot smoother. To keep the 'speed' about the same, I went to a 5 rpm motor (couldn't find a 4 rpm) that actually came from a 'disco ball' motor assembly I found on eBay for 1/4 the price of the first motor. I now have orders for 6 of these. Cool!

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Here's some pictures of the lamp/motor from the rear.

motorlightfromback-small.jpg

woodmotordriveassembly-small.jpg

The first shows the lamp from the back with the junction boxes for the electric, the battery box for the LED in the spark plug and the copper tubing I used to get the wire from the spark plug down to the micro switch.

The second shows the drive motor, the timing cam for the microswitch and the gear shafts that go thru the front panel to the back for extra support of the gears.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Pretty Dang Cool, I know that had to take a while to do:thumbs_up

Sully

New User
jay
Sweet! That looks nice. I'd like to see it in motion if possible; do you have video of it?

J

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Sweet! That looks nice. I'd like to see it in motion if possible; do you have video of it?

J

Did a video of about 45 seconds that took up 15 meg of space. having dial-up I couldn't post it because my connection kept loosing the server during the transfer. I'll have to see if i can make the quality of the video a little less to make the file smaller. There was a bunch of videos onthe Steebar site showing it running but it seems no one can get them to work.
Pop

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
After years of just giving away my projects to friends and family, I've finally leaped into the realm of actually having someone pay for a project. I know I probably said I have orders for 6 of these but up until yesterday I had no real $$$ to show for the effort. My first cash sale for the motor went for $105!!! I felt bad and good at the same time. I'm not used to charging for my crafts. Guess I'll get used to it after this though.

I'm taking one down to a local mower/small engine repair place tomorrow because the owner said he wanted to see one after I picked up some tractor parts from him last week.

Cool....

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Pop congratulations on your sale:icon_thum I know that it is hard to charge for something that you love to do - I have been there myself but know that whom ever buys your crafts has out a value on it for themselves and it means far more to them then you think - It is sort of like "giving" a car to a teenager instead of letting them "help" pay for the car - in the long run they will value the car more if they help with the purchase

M2CW

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
So there I was, beating my head against the wall trying to design the gears for my V-twin version of the wood motor using Illustrator and getting no where. It just wouldn't let me do enough to know that the gears were actually going to line up and work as I expected. So out of frustration I searched the web looking for a possible gear design site to get some software. Up comes:
http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

You can plug in the dimensions, angles, number of teeth, etc. and it gives you a pattern you can print out and paste on the stock and cut with the scrollsaw! Now that's just plain cool! The best part is if you go to the bottom of the page and click on the my site tab, you can see some of the stuff this guys builds too. Definitely worth a gander..... especially his marble machines.

P.S. because of the gear design software, the V-twin is moving along nicely now.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS