Second Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
After the disaster of my first cedar box try http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/first-cedar-box-15451/
I did away with the box joints and used simple joinery:widea:. I think this one came out lookin' much better. No tails to break off! No expensive router jig that I probably wasted my money on, no wanting to throw the box at full force into the shop wall:dontknow:, And the best part is that the LOML is going to actually put it on the night stand on her side of the bed!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Hope I can learn this ERC stuff, Cause I got more coming!!

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
Nice work!

I like the proportions and the simple design. What kind of finish did you use?

The finish is Minwax high gloss, fast drying poly. Three coats, sanded in between with 320 grit and the final coat is polished with a die grinder sporting a buffing wheel at slooooowwwww speed.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
There you go, Tracy. Can't tell you how many things I've made two of in my short ww career!

Nice work. :wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Very nice - good adaptation to the wood.
Some woods will machine well, some will take certain finishes. sigh~
I've learned a long time ago, the wood tells me what to do. I might want this or that, but if the wood won't do it, and I try to make it...
mother nature wins in the end!
So much to learn and only a life time to do it in

Chuck Seehuetter

New User
Chuck
Very nice Tracy. I know how frustrated you were with your first attempt after reading your first post. You said you made this one using "simple joinery" but didn't elaborate and I can't tell from your pictures so did you use butt or lap joints for this one?

Don't give up on other types of joints though, just practice on cheaper woods for projects not as important as this one was. I'm sure the LOYL will cherish this one.

Chuck

TracyP

Tracy
Actually I just used butt joints on this one as it was trimmed down from larger box parts. I was going to try box joints again but I need to get another bit first. The next one will be miters.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I thought the first one was nice but this one is even better! If at first you don't succeed...except I usually have to try, try, try, try, try, try,...:rotflm:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Spiffy work, Tracy.

When trying my hand at new skills, I tell LOML, "I am trying."

She simply replies,"Yes, you are." :swoon:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Tracy,
You can take the training wheels off now :mrgreen:
That's one fine box and the next one will be better :icon_thum