Sealing green wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
My neighbor and I cut some trees today and some of them were good size Wild Cherry. I'm out of Anchor Seal and will not be able to get any for a few day. What can use instead, something I can get at Lowe's?:-?

J

jeff...

John -
If you were closer I'd let you borrow my bucket full. I've seen some people put tar on the log ends - but man does in make a mess for the guy who has to saw it. I'm at an ends for homebrew log sealer although someone may be able to help.

Thanks

woodnick

New User
Nick
I'm not sure how to attach old threads. But look at my thread from 1-19-2007 "Old latex paint uses"

JRD

New User
Jim
John,

While I have not tried it, I have read of people using latex paint to seal ends for the short term.

As I understand it, latex works well because it "breathes", allowing for a slow exchange of moisture into the air, rather than the more rapid exchange that causes checking.

Usually if I can't get to a lathe piece right away, I just put it in a plastic bag until I can rough it out, most times within a week.

Jim

M

McRabbet

One of the sawyers I've used in this area uses latex primer, liberally applied. Some posts on Woodweb recommend roofing cement or paraffin.

J

jeff...

One of the sawyers I've used in this area uses latex primer, liberally applied. Some posts on Woodweb recommend roofing cement or paraffin.

Whoever recommends roofing cement should be taken out back and be beaten. The ONLY way to work with that is to cut off the ends of the log before it touches anything - else you got one big mess on your hands... It's like pine tar it shows up on everything and for a good long time too.:bconfused

As for latex paint - I ain't seen that work for diddly.

Paraffin wax now that's the ticket and is cheep, get the bar soft and rub it into the grain on the log ends or melt it in a pot and brush it on while it's good and hot...

Thanks

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I made it to Woodcraft in Greenville, SC. and they had green wood end sealer and it looks and acts just like Anchor Seal. My question now is after you seal the ends do you still need to put the blanks in plastic bags or just store in a dry place?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just store in a dry place. A plastic bag would probably cause fungal growth, unless you regularly changed out the air in it.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS