Scroll Saw Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am late to this party...

Right now, I don't have a good saw, just a cheapy to get me by for now. I had a somewhat better one that was still rather cheap, but I kept wearing out the blade holders on it and got rid of it. So don't just get any pinless saw; you want blade holders that will hold up and are easy to use. Low vibration is a key feature to me. I really liked the cast iron table on my last saw. I am less excited about variable speed; I generally want the blade moving fast and I will adjust the feed speed if the wood burns easy.

The cheapy I have now is a pinned blade model, which limits what I can do quite a bit. But it is fine for cutting sound holes and accurately following lines on thin wood. I would not buy a pinned one new. I think I paid $20 for this little saw/sander (it's a combo unit); it has a tiny table and the whole thing is light so I can store it away easy. I treat it more like a power hand tool - a jig saw that is more accurate in maintaining square edges and can be used on fragile stock - than as a saw for scroll work, if that makes any sense.

scrollski

New User
Jim
I have been scroll sawing for 21 years. The first saw was a craftsman. I had to rebuild it 3 times. I have a 26" Hawk for the last 12 years. I love it.

woodhead

New User
Alan
Glad you asked this question Doug

I would love to see the type of work done with a scroll saw. I've been interested in one too but I'm not too familiar with what you do with it. So... if anybody wants to post some pics of their work, I'm sure we'd all like to see them. Thanks Alan

cskipper

Cathy
I am late to this party...

Right now, I don't have a good saw, just a cheapy to get me by for now. I had a somewhat better one that was still rather cheap, but I kept wearing out the blade holders on it and got rid of it.

I'm guessing that was a DeWalt Type 2?? The only time I had a repetitive problem with the blade holders not holding on my Delta (maybe once or twice) I lightly sanded them to give them a rougher surface - resolved the problem. I think it's possible to replace the DeWalt's blade holders. I recommending avoiding saws that use pin-end blades.

The Hegner is sweet!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Glad you asked this question Doug

I would love to see the type of work done with a scroll saw. I've been interested in one too but I'm not too familiar with what you do with it. So... if anybody wants to post some pics of their work, I'm sure we'd all like to see them. Thanks Alan

Alan, I have some of my works in the photo gallery as does Sawduster, Cskipper, and other. I live in Cary just off of US1. You are more then welcome to come see first hand and even test drive my saw. Just PM me and we can set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS