Screwdrivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
A couple of screwdrivers, using a standard mag tip holder and copper couplers ...One in White Oak the other in Osage Orange

screwdrivers1.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cool.... Are those the Rockler kits or did you get parts from someplace else?

jimwill48

James
No, these are not kits. The metal (tip holder) part is nothing more than a magnetic extention bit holder that you can get just about anywhere ( I bought a buntch when HF had them on sale for $1.29 each) and the furrel is just a 1/2" copper coupler from a BORG.

James

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Those are real cool.You need to post some before&after pic's.I would kinda like to see how you put them together:icon_scra.

jimwill48

James
The video shows the Rockler Kit. While it is a decent project for me it has several issues. :eusa_thin

1: Its big, because of the way its made.
2: Your Stuck with the 2 - double ended bits that come with the kit.
3: It costs to much.

I've made a couple of the Rocker kits, see photo below of the Rockler Kit and bits:

rockler_kit.jpg

I needed flexibility so I came up with my version that uses the parts in the photo below and uses common tips, plus its cheap to make.:dontknow:

Parts_Screwdriver.jpg

Here's a photo comparing my version and the Rockler Kit. The Rockler is the top one.

screwdriver_ver.jpg

And the last photo shows one of my Versions and parts needed to make it.

Kit_Screwdriver.jpg

James

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
James very clever approach to creating something that looks better than the more expensive kit. I hate those double ended bits with a passion and much prefer the standard ones. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Do you think the hex shape on the magnetic extensions give you any extra resistance to the shaft turning in the handle?

Brian.

jimwill48

James
James very clever approach to creating something that looks better than the more expensive kit. I hate those double ended bits with a passion and much prefer the standard ones. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Do you think the hex shape on the magnetic extensions give you any extra resistance to the shaft turning in the handle?

Brian.

Brian
I believe it helps a little. I also rough up the steel on the hex a bit and use plenty of epoxy. I tried to make one turn in the handle on purpose, cracked and splinter the wood, never could get it to turn. So I don't believe that will ever be an issue.:eusa_thin

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS