Saw file handle

Scott H

Scott
User
I am new to turning but I made this handle for ~6" saw files out of maple and brass tube stock, as a gift for a friend. This is the 3rd actual finished piece I have turned (first two were similar handles, but in white pine.)

Brass ferrule was also polished using a wood mandrel made and used on the lathe. Finish is friction polish made of shellac/DNA/BLO.

I still have a lot to learn, particularly about actually nailing a particular shape intentionally, but it's been a fun process so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 121

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
I am new to turning but I made this handle for ~6" saw files out of maple and brass tube stock, as a gift for a friend. This is the 3rd actual finished piece I have turned (first two were similar handles, but in white pine.)

Brass ferrule was also polished using a wood mandrel made and used on the lathe. Finish is friction polish made of shellac/DNA/BLO.

I still have a lot to learn, particularly about actually nailing a particular shape intentionally, but it's been a fun process so far.
Yes, that’s one sweet looking file handle. I would be proud to use one of those with my file(s).
Really nice job! Congrats

Scott H

Scott
User
Thank you for the all the kind words on my admittedly very early turning everyone. This is one of the many reasons I like this site.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

Making tool handles is one of my favorite things to do with a lathe. Very nicely done.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors