Saw blade cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
Is there a common household item that works as well as the more expensive blade cleaners - removing pitch etc. from blades?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Baking Soda. Place your blade in a pan w/ just enough water to cover it. Add two table spoons of baking soda. Stir it around enough to dissolve the baking soda and spread it evenly in the water. Let sit overnight.

Next day, use a soft bristle brass brush, or an old tooth brush to gently scrub the pitch/tar away. Rinse the blade, dry it, and you're ready to go. If I'm not going to use the blade right away, I usually apply a light coat of WD40 and store it.

I've been using this method for years and now buy 5 lb. bags of baking soda at Sam's Club.

Bill

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use LA's Totally Awesome from DollarTree. Costs a buck for a lifetime supply, but don't waste your money on the flavored ones. Just get the original one. If you already have a spray bottle, then get the refill which contains more product.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Freud recommends kerosene for blades and router bits. Works good for me.
The Awesome from Dollar General, tree, etc. works too, but for me kerosene is better.

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the link to the past!
Funny how things often cycle through isn't it?
Whatever method you use to clean your blades, don't forget to protect them afterward.
Amazing what a LIGHT coating of camilla oil (or similar) can do for a blade on a regular basis

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks for the link to the past!
Funny how things often cycle through isn't it?
Whatever method you use to clean your blades, don't forget to protect them afterward.
Amazing what a LIGHT coating of camilla oil (or similar) can do for a blade on a regular basis

Thanks CaptnA, The real thanks goes to MichaelGarner for the original post though :icon_thum!
I've kept this bookmarked since 2007 because it worked well for me and the thread is informative, and have brought the link back a few times.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Whitely's Whitewall Tire Cleaner also works and quite rapidly, as well as being a good cleaner for cleaning grease and oil off steel and iron parts when preparing them to paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS