Sanding Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
After making a chess set this past weekend the wife and I needed a way to finish sanding the knights. Alan made a sanding disk while we were taking the class so copied I his design. I only had 1 small faceplate so I decided to make a faceplate to go with it.

Cutting the blank for the faceplate.
sd2.jpg

Mounting the blank onto my faceplate.
sd3.jpg

Truing the blank.
sd7.jpg

Facing it off.
sd8.jpg

Drilling an 11/16 hole through it.
sd10.jpg

I removed the blank from the lathe and ran a tap through the faceplate and into the blank. Using the factory made faceplate to make sure the threads were straight.​
sd12.jpg

Removed the faceplate and install the blank directly on the lathe. Turned the outside true and faced it off again.
sd14.jpg

sd15.jpg

Marked and cut a scrap piece of cypress for the plate.
sd17.jpg

sd18.jpg

Mounted the faceplate onto the plate. After the glue dried for a bit I turned the plate round and faced it off.
sd19.jpg

sd20.jpg

sd21.jpg

Chamfered the back and removed some excess material.
sd22.jpg

The final result:

sd23.jpg

I now have 2 sanding disks I can mount on the lathe. I can keep 2 different grits on them and change them out when needed. There are more pics in my gallery if you want to see more.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2732

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks for sharing. I saw in your gallery that you put CA in the threads. Was that for strength?

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I figured a little CA in the threads wouldn't hurt. After it dried I ran the tap back through it again.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Nice. Just this week I picked up 2 taps, a 1x12 & 3/4x16 to make sanding and face plates for my lathes.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Great job! Good to see you in your workshop... I guess you had to shove Kaisla out of the way, eh? ;)

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great job! Good to see you in your workshop... I guess you had to shove Kaisla out of the way, eh? ;)

Somebody had to take the pictures, although she didn't seem too happy about it. She had all day today to play while I was at work.

Elecyah

New User
Kaisla
Somebody had to take the pictures, although she didn't seem too happy about it. She had all day today to play while I was at work.

The biggest reason I wasn't too happy about it was that I wanted to be working on finishing my knights. Also, he had his radio-earmuffs on, so I didn't even have him to chat with while I took pictures. =P

But the discs work good. I just made a quick test run of making a knight from the scratch. Went digging in Wayne's scrap box till I found a piece of useless, knotty pine. Traced an outline and cut it out on the bandsaw (which was *really* what I was testing - had never cut out a shape on band saw before), and then shaped it further on the sanding disc. I can already think of a gazillion uses for this. :)

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne, where did you get that tool rest for your lathe?

I made it out of a 5/8 bolt and a piece of pipe I had laying around. I cut the threads off of the bolt and turned the head off of it. Then cut the pipe to length and welded it to the bolt.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
In the recent class we didn't get to discuss my development of the sanding disc for carving at the lathe, nor how to clean it when it's dirty! Also a lot of people from the pen turners' organization as well as the one called lumber jocks have been on the site looking around. Given all this, I thought I had best consolidate the sanding disc info a bit.

So sanding disc info new & old is on the website now.

www.CHESSSPY.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS