Sam Maloof Dies at 93

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
That makes me sad. He seemed like a real nice guy and a real artist. I read, just a few days ago, that he had just introduced some newly designed pieces somewhere. I bet the worth of those pieces just went skyward.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This is a very sad day for all of us. Sam characterized what is great about woodworking, and was an inspiration to us all, young and old.
He should be "sleeping" well knowing how many that he inspired, not to mention that his works have just doubled in price.

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I was saddened to read this. I've been reading a book about Sam Maloof each night and was learning about his life as a woodworker. He lived a good life and did what so many of us will strive to do... he left a legacy and will be remembered by many for years to come.

Glennbear

Glenn
Indeed a sad day, the woodworking world has suffered a great loss. I was fortunate enough to receive a recent magazine article about Sam from my daughter in CA which contains probably what was one of his last interviews.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Living in his home town, Alta Loma, I felt very close to him.

During a Special group tour of his home and Personal guided tour of his workshop, I found out more about him. He was very much 'down to earth' and 'one of us guys' answering all of our questions. When I asked him what type blades he used in his Bandsaw, it opened a real can of worms where he walked over to it, turned it on, and proceeded to play with it like a master violinist... true poetry in motion. He made a nice little chair arm, signed it, and gave it to a lady in the group; I'm sure she appreciated it then and now, MORE than ever before.

We talked about all kinds of things...

I noticed that he a few scars on one of his hands... I asked him if he had any safety tips that he could share with us... He was temporarily confused in wondering what I meant... Then, I called his attention to the scars... He laughed and proceeded to describe each scar and how it happened... reminded me much of that scene in the movie Jaws.

During the house tour, there were little custom latches, handles, etc. all over the place where he had just taken a piece of wood and made his current idea work... very unique and clever items.

His dining room table with his hinged ends also impressed me... I tried to figure out how he made it... If all the pieces had been glued together, he would have needed a drill bit over 3' long and a drill press of super accurate control, which he did NOT do. He formed the ends of each piece, about 4" wide, and drilled the hole for the steel rod that was going to be used for the hinge. He basically finished each part of the table and ends, then when glued together, and the rod was inserted perfectly into place, and the Top was made! An awesome approach which I plan to try one day.

He was very gracious, simple, and just a plain Good Guy!

I told him that I just lived down the street, less than a mile away, and he said "Really! You ought to drop by more often for a visit!". I said OK, but I felt that if I had tried to do that, I wouldn't get past first base if I showed up, rang his door bell, etc. for a visit! Wish I had tried now... just to see if it would have happened!

The world has lost a great and wonderful man... I will never forget him... I looked to him much as a father-figure.

I pray for him and his Family in this time of sorrow.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Please don't smack me in the back of the head too many times for not knowing who Sam Maloof was. I read the links posted and can honestly say, I've never read anything in my life as inspirational as that. That is absolutely incredible. His family and friends are in my prayers and his life and work will inspire me forever.

nelsone

New User
Ed
That is quite a loss for the ww community. He seemed like a very interesting person.

Joe, you are a fortunate man to have been able to meet him!

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Please don't smack me in the back of the head too many times for not knowing who Sam Maloof was. I read the links posted and can honestly say, I've never read anything in my life as inspirational as that. That is absolutely incredible. His family and friends are in my prayers and his life and work will inspire me forever.

Trent,

Don't feel bad about it... I lived here a few years before I learned about him... Sam who? Maloof? What kind of crazy name it that? He does what? Make rocking chairs?! Yep, it took me awhile... :gar-Bi

Look at the links in this thread, The Woodworking Channel (haven't looked at them lately), google him, YouTube, you will be loaded with a few days worth of study!

The World has lost a truly great man.

AndyPitts

New User
Andy
I ditto everything Joe said. I had the pleasure of touring his shop and home with the Furniture Society in 2005, and Sam Maloof was just such a nice guy. His passing is such a loss to all of us.

SSuther

New User
Stan
Sorry to see him go, but for someone to live so long doing what he loves, that's rare and very special. We should celebrate his life.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A true master craftsman. The best way to honor Sam is to continue to attempt to copy his styles and quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS