Rust prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Sad to say, my table saw lives outside. Under cover, but outside none-the-less.
Rust on the table is problem, obviously. I can clean the rust, but am looking for something to protect the surface so I don't need to clean the top of either rust or rust preventative before use.
Suggestions appreciated.
I have heard of hunters in wet climates using paste wax on the metal surfaces of their guns with good results, supposedly, so I was thinking of giving that a try, but figured to seek sage wisdom on the subject here first!;-)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Tom, I have used paste wax on my cast iron table tops before with good results. I am currently using a product called Top-Cote but I am not sure how it would work being exposed to the outside elements all the time. There are other products out there as well.

D L

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, when covering a machine with a "tarp" make sure there is an air space between tarp and machine. I used to use paste wax, but lately have been using parriffin wax (Gulf Wax), I take grater and grate some like you would cheese and then desolve in deoderized mineral spirits. This takes about 24 hours. Pour mixture into a spray bottle from dollar store. Clean top, spray mixture, wait for it to dry, and then buff top. Works well on Bessies to keep glue off shanks too. One of the commercial "top savers" is parriffin, desolved in MS in an aresol can- about ten bucks.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Tom,

Had to dig into my past ShopNotes Vol 14 Issue 80, Mar/Apr, 2005, page 46 for an article on Preventing Rust. While like most that have responded to your Thread I use Johnson Paste Wax and TopCote. I have never had any problem with rust using these two products. There are other products and tips for preventing rust on both power and hand tools. Some other products are Boeshield T-9, Bullfrog Emitter Strips, Bullfrog wipes. Most of these products can be purchased at the Woodsmith Store or Rockler.

Sources: Bullfrog 1-800-426-7832 www.bull-frog.com
PMS Products Inc. 1-800-962-1732 www.boeshield.com
Rockler 1-800-279-4441 www.rockler.com
Woodsmith Store
1-800-835-5084 www.woodsmithstore.com

www.shopnotes.com
Hope these sources help you and others. Terry:eusa_danc

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I use plain old Johnson paste wax but then I really don't have problems with rust even if I don't so I can't really say as far as it preventing anything.

The Boeshield gets good reviews but I have never tried it personally.

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
Cast iron, outside, I dont envy your job of keeping the rust off. The thing that has worked the best for me is gun oil, the stuff hunters use on their rifles and shotguns out in the rain and elements. You buy it in the Gun Dept of a sportings good store...

The problem is, its oil, not something you really want to slide your wood over. I pretty much reserve it for hand planes, hand tools, etc... But you could spray your saw down after each use, then wipe it off when you go to use it, then spray it again when you put the saw up for the night. Try the wax first, it may work, but if all else fails the gun oil will keep the rust off.

I actually keep my precision straightedges covered in gun oil, tried all the magic stuff, wax, boshield, parrafin, but I still got rust on them from my salty hands. So now when I am done, I oil them up, and then wipe them down when I need to use them, which aint often.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I have used Boeshield's T-9 on my cast iron tables. The Rust Free takes the rust off pretty well and a light coating of T-9 every month or so, keeps the top slick and rust free.

Dave

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tarhead said:
Bruce,
What is your ratio of pariffin to mineral spirits?
Thx!
Mark
:roll: Wax comes four bars to box. I use 1/2 bar grated into 8-12 oz of MS. Mixture will have be shaken occassionally to keep wax from settling to bottom.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Travis said:
Terry,

Do you use the Wax and Top Coat at the same time?

No I haven't used both at the same time. I use the paste wax most of the time as I have used it the most during my woodworking years. The TopCote is an aerosol spray that is 30% slicker and is suspose to last 3 times longer than paste wax, it won't stain wood or interfere with glues or finishes. My Dad got me started on it about six years ago. He uses it alot. I like it but I am old fashioned and hard to change in my ways so I lean on my Johnson's Paste Wax. Both must be applied and let dry and buff out for full affect. Both are excellent products! I do use TopCote on my hand tools!
Another lubricant is Kity Speed which is a graphite wax which helps with friction. I don't know if they still make it or not as this has been about 10 years ago when I used it. They do still make graphite wax.

Terry

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, here's my 2 cents. Nothing was working very well for me, top, paste wax, etc. My sweat dripping on the surface created a pitted rust spot every time. Then Bruce, JunqueCol told me about Paraffin and as far as I'm concerned that's the way go.

But, outside. I doubt it. Gun oil may be the best bet.

DL what's the modern equivalent of cosmoline. only half kidding.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
DL what's the modern equivalent of cosmoline. only half kidding.

Cosmoline? Hmmmm:eusa_thin ......it seems like I am still digging that stuff out of the crack of my..........oh, never mind. To be honest Steve, the stuff now closely resembles extremely heavy gear oil.

D L

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
As always, good solid advice, I thank you all!
I think I'll try the parrafin, I have some around, part of my trapping stuff.
For the record, the saw is covered with a tarp, but not tightly, more drapped over it and whatever odd items I set atop the saw to keep the tarp off the surface, and thats all under one of those small open sided square canopys. Not much of a "shop", but it's de finest shop I gots!:lol:

T

toolferone

Tom Dunn said:
For the record, the saw is covered with a tarp, but not tightly, more drapped over it and whatever odd items I set atop the saw to keep the tarp off the surface,

The only problem with a tarp is that any mositure that gets in, can't get out. I would still favor a breathable machine/car cover a better choice.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I also use the Boeshield's T-9. It is easy to apply (an aerosol can) and it has worked well. I have even seen it for sale in the hardware department at Sears. I'm not sure if this is unorthodox or not, but the best thing I found to remove the rust from my table saw was a green scotch-brite pad. :)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Amy, welcome to the forum, and thanks for letting us know that Boeshield products may be available in Sears.

Please write a short introduction here so that we can get to know you, and your interests. Be forwarned, we like pics! You can start your photo album here by selecting Help Desk to the left, where you may request your album be created.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
D L Ames said:
Cosmoline? Hmmmm:eusa_thin ......it seems like I am still digging that stuff out of the crack of my..........oh, never mind. To be honest Steve, the stuff now closely resembles extremely heavy gear oil.

D L
Is it just as hard to get off? I remember the DIs at boot making us do it with just rags, no solvent. But if you were willing to risk it, there were 2 E-5 Marines who had a 50 gallon drum with boiling water, Field strip put in barrel for 5 minutes. Then dry the wooden stock and butt (m-1s) tinted pastewax the wood to restore the color, then back to barracks to finish, 30 mins. The Jarheads wanted $5 a pop:eusa_doh: If you got caught, they cracked a new case and you cleaned every one plus a lot of running with at least 2 weapons over your head:BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS