Rule (Table) Joint Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I am teaching a workshop on making a pair of rule joint molding planes. These are used to cut the dropleaf table joint. There is a matching pair, one to cut the hollow and one to cut the round. We will also cut a rule joint with our planes. The workshop is July 16-18 (3 days) at the Woodwright's School in Pittsboro. Hopefully we will e able to make a pilgrimage to noted whitesmith and blacksmith Peter Ross to get his take on tool steels. He will help us out with hardening and tempering the blades we make. You can sign up by going to http://www.woodwrightschool.com and following the links.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I neglected to mention that this workshop is folowed by a weeklong one to make a Pembroke style table. this table has a pair of dropleaves which we will make using either moving fillester and hollows and rounds or using table joint planes, as desired. The table also uses a knuckle joint for a swing out suppport for the dropleaves, which is a very interesting and fun joint to make.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would like to do that but am in the middle of buying a house and can't let go for the next few months.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Bill: Hope you don't mind me asking about some of your other classes. I am currently scheduled for the Bench Plane skills class in August. I am also considering either the "Miter Plane and Shooting Board" or "Coffin Smoother". Can you tell me about the Miter Plane? Will it make a cut that is square to the board or is it for an angled cut? Not sure if my question is clear, but I am looking to make a cut at a 90deg angle to the bench.

Greg

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Greg: thanks for your inquiries! I am really excited about being able to teach such a variety of plane making classes. The miter plane and the rule joint planes are new ones for me this year but are both very useful planes. The miter would probably be used more frequently. The coffin smoother is a toted smoothing plane, really spectacular. I believe there is one in the window at the school.

The miter plane is a sophisticated plane in the sense that the bed angle on the plane is 30 degrees and the blade is skewed 10 degrees. Since the blade is bevel down, the cutting angle is below 30 degrees. This is a plane that was inspired by an English plane that I saw a picture of. With this low cutting angle, the plane will be well suited for end grain work. A low angle block plane (bed=12 degrees, bevel = 25 degrees) still cuts at 37 degrees. The Lie Nielsen miter plane also cuts at 37 degrees. Even though the blade is skewed, the plane is designed to cut a 90 degree edge on square or mitered stock. The miter shooting board we will make as well has both a square fence and a 45 degree fence so that you can trim stock up to 7" wide. The fences are both "tweakable". This is a very traditional design for a shooting board. We will make that out of quaetersawn oak.

The miter plane, with the compound bed angle, is hard to wrap your mind around when you are chopping that out. I about went nuts. Now that Ihave a working example of this, it should be easier for the participants to see what is going on. The workshop is not for the faint of heart and we will undoubtedly work in the evenings to move things along.

The toted smoother is more straightforward, with a 50 degree bed, cut square to the sole. So that's a relief! A complication is that the plane body is coffin shaped, and with a razee heel where the tote seats. So that is a lot of fun to cut as well. We will make the handles out of air dried walnut for a nice contrast.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Thanks Bill. I will probably talk more with you in the Bench Plane Skills class and decide which plane I want to make.

Greg

dave

New User
Dave
Hey Bill,

Question about another class you offer. I am a new woodworker and would like to learn about planes. Would the bench plane skills class be a good place to start? It sounds like it would from the description but wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Bill,

Permit me to get some advice if you don't mind. I just picked up a Two Cherries wood bodied plane on Ebay that's got a blade stamped with an 1858 date:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290450907293&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

It looked salvageable so I took the plunge, I know nothing about hand planing and I figured a restoration would help me learn. What do you suggest I do to get it into usable shape (methods, resources, etc.). I'm very aware I need the wood retaining wedge that's missing. Please note, if the plane or the blade are garbage, please don't spare me the knowledge, I don't want to waste time as well as money.

Thanks,

Dean

Last edited:

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Dave: this is a workshop on "all about bench planes". We will work with all of the benchplanes starting with the scrub plane, jack, jonter and smoothers (both bevel up and bevel down styles). We will use edge and block planes to square up and miter the edgesof stock. Other tools include winding stick, marking gagues, panel gauge, marking knives, squares, shooting boards, etc. The first day is for talking about plane anatomy and looking at metal, wooden and transitional examples. We wil also cover sharpening techniques for planes. then we will use traditional technqieus to dimension and smooth up a piece of rough sawn stock to a final clean dimension. We will then learn to lay out bevels and curved surfaces on this piece of finished stock and to palne these with block and smoothing planes (useful for table tops, etc). Lastly, we will edge joint two pieces of stock for a glue up joint and talk about techniques to do that.

On the second day we will plane our glued up stock to flatness. We will then explore many ways to use bench planes to solve problems in the workshop. Part of this will be to look at different examples of grain styles and learn to read grain direction, strategies for orienting stock for planing, how to deal with difficult grain, reversing grain, etc. We wil also work on planing to flatness some mock face frames, both mitered and rail and stile formats, to learn how to plane intersecting grains. There will be opportunites to square up endgrain by hand with block planes only and also by using square and mitered shoooting boards and miter planes. Usually people do not get through everything, but pick and choose what skills they want to focus on. We will have a variety of figured hardoowd to practice planing on.

Students are encouraged to bring their planes, both to work on and sharpen, and to use in the workshjop. Most of the tools needed for the workshop will be provided by the School, however.

This workshop is a lot of fun and I have been doing this one for a number of years now.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
It's a good plane, not withstanding the missing wedge. A nice tight mouth and a good single blade. You can make a wedge for this plane. I would use quarter sawn beech if you can get it. Check out the book by David Perch "Wooden Planes and How to Make them"

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Bill - thank you for your help, I'll do as recommended. Good luck with your class. If I weren't unemployed I'd love to go to one of those, I had no idea the school was so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors