router

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
question,i am looking for a router,are they all suited for a table,or are some models better for mounting under a table?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
if you are looking for a router to use in table, I think the general consensus is bigger is better.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
There are several routers out there now that are specifically built for a table. They are designed so that bit changes from the top are easier and the legs are made to not collect dust and jam.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Almost all routers can be mounted under a table, but some are better for the application than others. I have a Dewalt 618 router in the fixed base under my table and if I want to use it free hand I take the motor out and use it in the plunge base. The PC 7518 is the definition of a table mounted router and most of the router lifts are designed around it, but you don't need all that power unless you are doing raised panels or wanting to spin large dia. bits. I know a few people that have the old stand by PC 690 under a table and it works well for what they want to do. It's best to define what you are wanting to do with the router table and then chose the router and accessories accordingly.
Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
All good answers so far. :icon_thum
My advice is to figure out what's the biggest bit you want to turn. Do you want to raise panels with a 3.5" diameter bit or are you just wanting to do round-overs? Rule of thumb is 1 hp for every inch of bit diameter. So for that 3.5" bit, best have a 3.5hp router. I have heard of someone burning out a 2 or 2.5 hp router turning a large bit like that.
(that's why I just picked up a Milwaukee 3.5hp - stealth gloat)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think you can get almost any router to mount in a table. The differences are horsepower and convenience to adjust the height and how easy it will be to change the bits. Some are better than others and mileage will vary.

My first router in a table was a black and decker 1 horsepower. I had to get extra long screws for the sub base assembly so I could mount it, but other than that, it served me pretty well in it's time. It wouldn' raise panels or take a 1/2" bit, but I wasn't doing that at the time anyway.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Here's another way to look at it. If the router is going to be dedicated to a table, then get a 3+ HP (7518 or milwalkuee)

If you are going to be using it in both a table and free hand, than go with a smaller router. The 7518 or 3.5 Milwaulkee are just too bulky for a lot hand held uses.

M

McRabbet

To follow up on Steve's comment, that's why I leave my Milwaukee 3-1/2 HP router in the table and use my P-C 690 for hand held work or the smaller Trend T-3 or P-C trim routers for small stuff. Like clamps, you can't have enough routers.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS