router table

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Had a friend tell me about this today.

The guy was using a router table to make some raised panels when this happened. After running a board through the router, the bit (a raised panel bit with 1/2" shank) came straight up out of the router to about eye level...hovered there for a split second and then shot across the shop away from him.
He had the bit placed all the way into the router well ( should have 3/8" to 1/2" of shaft behind the bit head exposed), the well was not clean (sawdust prevents a secure grip), the fence was not secured or designed properly (if he was even using a fence!) and the result was a very close call.
I have had bits break, chatter loose and even had a 3 hp router get jerked out of my hands with the switch locked on but this was way wild to hear about.
Just another reason to follow the safety rules and to pay attention.

Stave

M

McRabbet

I have placed a hard rubber faucet washer in the bottom of my router collet (it needs to be nearly 1/2" in diameter) as a spacer to be sure that bits are never seated on the small fillet that is at the junction of the bit shaft and head. I have a Milwaukee 5625 3-1/2 HP VS router and remove the motor from below my router table when I change bits. I also clean the collet parts before I start on any significant project.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Wow! never thought anything like that would happen - I use my router and table alot - I better check everything out - thanks for the post

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I went years without a table and just recently got a small bench top. The person that gave it to me convinced me that I had a false sense of security about using my rail system because a loose bit would fall out and take off while in a table it will just stop cutting with the collet spinning around it. Seems he has a false sense of security as well. Either way, a good tight fit is essential. I messed up a project not long ago from having a loose bit slip and go too deep. Just from the time it saved me on the peg board cabinet, I could kick myself for going so long without one.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is one of those things that when it happens my stomach rolls over, I turn off the tools, turn off the lights, go in the house, and change out of my soiled underwear.

Thankfully, the last time it happened was 20 years ago when a dado blade flew across the room out of a radial arm saw. No injuries, but it still makes me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors