Router Table - Laminate Both Sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldhippie1951

New User
Robert
I'm making a router table extension on my table saw. When looking at plans, many say laminate on both sides. Why?:dontknow:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
it keeps the top from warping. wood and plastics move at different rates so keeping both sides the same helps you table stay flat.:gar-Bi

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Robert,
+1 to what Fred said. If you can get your hands on the new Microdot Formica , by all means use it on your top. You won't believe how much of a difference it will make. Jim

oldhippie1951

New User
Robert
Robert,
+1 to what Fred said. If you can get your hands on the new Microdot Formica , by all means use it on your top. You won't believe how much of a difference it will make. Jim
WOW! That stuff will make my router table look GREAT! Here's my plans:
woodworkingtips-can-table-base.gif
:rotflm:

T

toolferone

How do you turn the router on and off?

Also you should cover/protect the edge of the top too. Lots of folks trim the edge in solid wood to handle being bumped around. Here is my table. I put the wood edge on before the laminate then trimed the laminate with a bevel bit to ease the edge.
rtr%20top%202.jpg

T

toolferone

Where did you get that picture of me :gar-Bi?

I appreciate the obvious :rolf:, but according to the orginal trash can picture, it looks like the switch will be hidden inside the trash can with hooks holding the table to the can handles. Of course you can wire up a switched outlet in the can with thw switch on the outside. I was just making sure you had thought through the design. On a side note, I also think it will be loud. Please wear hearing protection.

oldhippie1951

New User
Robert
I was just making sure you had thought through the design.
I have. Kick the can once, the monkey turns it on. Kick it twice, the monkey turns it off.:icon_thum

I ordered my T & Miter Track and some hardware for it this past week from Rockler.

I also sold my radial arm saw to a commercial cabinetry company Thursday. I looked at their web site before he come to pick the saw up and I dropped the price on it even more than we had originally agreed in lou of getting some of his "scraps" when making some of my projects and he most heartedly agreed. Take a look at their web site and let me know what I should ask for. This is where I'm hoping to get the material from for the router extension.
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
This is not a plug for the company, just that you guys would know more than me on what I can ask for when I get there Monday. I am going to see if he has that Microdot Formica that Jim M. mentioned.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
while i appreciate the idea of your design have you thought about all the dust that is going to get sucked through your router motor? wouldn't want you to ruin your router :wsad::tinysmile_cry_t:

oldhippie1951

New User
Robert
while i appreciate the idea of your design have you thought about all the dust that is going to get sucked through your router motor? wouldn't want you to ruin your router
DSC00071.jpg

PLEASE! That would be the best thing that happened to this project. Then I'd be forced to buy a decent one.:eusa_clap

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Tom, fess up. Freud gave that router table as a sales bonus for exceeding your goals. You cant fool me. I can tell the difference in home made and factory purchased.
Just kidding, but it does look professional. I wish I could get you and Earl to come and make my table insert and punch the whole in my table for my Freud 3-1/4hp router. So far, I have been too intimidated to begin. I do not have the skill level that most on this site have. Just beginning to learn, but enjoying making the dust.
James

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I wish I could get you and Earl to come and make my table insert and punch the whole in my table for my Freud 3-1/4hp router. So far, I have been too intimidated to begin. I do not have the skill level that most on this site have.

Let me point out that a router table insert is NOT an absolute requirement. I don't use one. My router is mounted directly to the underside of my table. Some routers are more amenable to this than others, but even those that don't provide for above-the-table bit changes are certainly still usable in this configuration if you have a tilting top.

In this picture, you can see the 4 screws that hold my router in the top:

RouterTable-refaced.jpg

One of the advantages of this approach is you don't have to worry about leveling the insert with the top or having a piece get hung up on the plate edge.

My top is 1 1/4" thick. so I routed out a recess to get the router a little closer to the top:

RouterTable-shroud2.jpg

If you are new to WOW (world of woodworking), my recommendation would be to start with a simple router table. I used this router table for quite a while and it worked very well. I only upgraded because I found a mostly ready-to-use table on CL for $50 (it only needed a new top and fence). I do not AT ALL regret starting with a simpler table - I got several years of use out of it...and I learned a lot about what I did and did not want in of a router table.

my 2c
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS