Router collet extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm -very slowly- working on some cutting boards. I want to route some handles into the edges using a box core bit. So I created a jig out of some plywood that allows me to use a guide bushing. Complex stuff, this math thing, figuring out how large to make the opening when the outer diameter of the bushing is X and the bit diameter is Y.

All in all that jig took about two weeks :)

I ran a test piece, and the recess is the right size, but it's not deep enough. Since the jig is made out of 3/4" plywood, I lost 3/4" in plunging depth. Problem. If it was just 1/16" or so, I'd just raise the bit out of the collect, but we're talking 3/8" here...I'm weird, not stupid.

A quick search revealed something called a router collect extender. Bright light streaming down, angels raising trumpets, a choir sings....the Answer! Although for some reason, everyone seems to want to use these things in conjunction with a router table, not a hand held router. So before I spent money on a tool I may only use twice in my lifetime, I want to make sure it's not going to be zero times in my lifetime. (Not that I'd save the money, but it means I can buy different tool! :tool:)

- Any concerns using a collet extension in a hand held plunge router (DW618)?
- Any concerns using a collect extension in general?
- Anyone have the one from MLCS?

Thanks! :icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Collet extenders have a large collet on the other end!
Freud makes some long 2.5" cutter in 1/2" dia. Or you could flip it over and meet in the middle.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Hey Bas,
I've had the extender from MLCS for several years. I tried it once in a router table and it then sat in a drawer till last year, it raised the pucker factor to a level I wouldn't tolerate.
Maybe a year ago one of the mags had an article on bowls made with a hand held router, a bowl bit and an extension.
I bartered for a bowl bit and manned up and tried the MLCS extension. It worked great. Much more stable and less intimidating under the router baseplate than sticking up from a table. The cutting board handles would be much easier on the extension than a 2 1/2" + deep bowl, go for it.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
My thinking is with Joe, wouldn't the new collet just hit guide bushing before you got anymore depth? Not sure what size bushing you are using or it your jig template sets flat on the face of the surface being cut but it sounds like more math and a new jig to me.....or just a longer bit. Now that I have posted a comment on something I don't even understand I think it's time to leave work, head home, and see if there are adult beverages in the fridge.:eusa_danc

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Collet extenders have a large collet on the other end!
Freud makes some long 2.5" cutter in 1/2" dia. Or you could flip it over and meet in the middle.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm not actually cutting through, just making a recess for your fingers to grab the board. Like in the picture below, except I'm not making the recess in the top, but in the sides of the cutting board. I want to make it ~5/8" deep, but because I'm using a guide bushing, the bit only sticks out about 1/4".

images

Thinking about it some more, 2 1/4" seems awfully long, I wonder if that even fits within the plunge base of my router. Guess I better measure.

MIKE NOAH said:
Now that I have posted a comment on something I don't even understand
That's OK, I have no idea what I'm asking :rotflm:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Bas,
Here is a Woodsmith video on the router bowls that shows what you are wanting to do. Just that yours are recessed handles instead of bowls.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Two thoughts,

Set up on the router table with leading and trailing stops, and feather boards as necessary.

Build a router sled that you can clamp to the work piece flush with the edge. Install runners so that the router can't move except in the direction you want it, and again use leading and trailing stops. Something like this:

bas.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Two thoughts,

Set up on the router table with leading and trailing stops, and feather boards as necessary.
Yes, that would work. Thought about it. But I'm not terribly comfortable dropping a workpiece onto a spinning bit, not at this depth.

Build a router sled that you can clamp to the work piece flush with the edge. Install runners so that the router can't move except in the direction you want it, and again use leading and trailing stops. Something like this:

bas.jpg
I like that option. More complex to build than using a guide bushing, but no loss of depth. Fantastic diagram too!

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
re-make your jig out of 1/4" hardboard. this is what most use for jigs and templates. cheaper than 3/4" plywood. i bought a 4'x8' sheet. it may last me forever.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well Bas, you know where a Woodrat is nearby!
I might take you up on that offer. Only reason I wouldn't want to do that is repeatability...I'll probably want to make more cuttingboards this way. Although I suppose I can just keep bugging you for help :)

You need an AILW motorized router lift in your router table!:wsmile:
I agree Alan. Why don't you bring one to the picnic :gar-La;

re-make your jig out of 1/4" hardboard. this is what most use for jigs and templates. cheaper than 3/4" plywood. i bought a 4'x8' sheet. it may last me forever.
I need the jig to be 3/4" thick because that's the depth of the guide bushing. But the idea is good - I'm sure there are guide bushings that are only 1/2 or maybe even 1/4" in depth. That would solve it.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have seen and read Pat Warner's books/videos, he does cut the guide bushings to length. aka. shortens them with a hacksaw.

Instead, while sitting here thinking without knowing, could you route a dado in the underside of the jig? Such that the whole jig could sit lower?

I'm guessing you made a top plate with a perpendicular fence of sorts.

Jim

I need the jig to be 3/4" thick because that's the depth of the guide bushing. But the idea is good - I'm sure there are guide bushings that are only 1/2 or maybe even 1/4" in depth. That would solve it.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I have a 1/2" and a 1/4" collet extension and have used them for years. As a matter of fact, I end up using them more often than not since my router table top is pretty thick. I also use them in a pretty big router, a Bosch 1619EVS and have never had any trouble with their operation. The only issue is finding the correct two wrenches to loosen and tighten the thing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just an update - I decided that a router collet extension would be a useful thing to have, since I've had other projects where the extra depth would be really useful. So I ordered the MLCS one.

It comes with two wrenches.

It is nicely machined, all the parts come together nice and tight.

It fits great in the DeWalt 618 router.

It gives you 2 1/4" extra depth.

But, duh, DUH! The extension doesn't fit "through" the guide bushing. When I plunge down, the collet extension hits the underside of the guide bushing when the bit protrudes the outside of the guide bushing by only 1/8". So I've _lost_ routing depth :rotflm:

Double duh.

So I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a new set of guide bushings. As Jim suggested, cut down one using a hacksaw. Sanded it smooth on the disc sander. Made a new template using 1/4" plywood. Works like a charm. Total cost $29.95 for the collet extension (future project?) and $9.90 for the guide bushing set (which includes the 20% off coupon). Plus $16 for the hold down clamps I saw on sale there. And $32 for the multifunction tool. Couple of other loose items...you know how these things go :gar-La;

Other than routing bowls, I can't see too many uses for the collet extension now. Although it would be great for making bench dog holes. Anyone want to buy it? Never used!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sounds like a win-win! You got to buy more tools and now you have more tools. The best of both worlds :)

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looking forward to seeing the results.
I know you meant: No pics, didn't happen :)

Here is the jig, using 1/4" plywood for the business end (look familiar, Robert? :))

Routed recesses. Almost no burning, very pleased with the $5 Woodcraft bit:

Yes, I could have used a fence and stopblocks. But routing 4 handles (I made two boards)...jig better. Especially since I'll be making more cutting boards in the future, everyone wants one.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Agree with Matt...start an stop blocks on router table is what I use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS