Round Table for the porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
LOML pointed out a table she saw in a magazine that she wanted. Needless to say I was tasked with building one. Then we lost the picture. So I made it up. :wsmile:

P5070028_01.JPG

The table is about 56" in diameter and is made of poplar. LOML is going to paint it after I add sanding sealer. I glued and biscuit joined the planks together so I could cut the circle with my router. (That is when I burned my fingers as I noted in another thread).

P5070029_01.JPG

Next I attached two braced perpendicular to the planks. There is a lag bolt connecting each plank, (Except the outermost 2) to the braces. I countersunk the bolt holes so the head did not protrude undee the table. BTW I have actually worn the teeth off a Forstner bit!!:dontknow:

P5070030_01.JPG

Next I made the legs and half-lapped them together to form the "X"'s. These are bolted with lag bolts to the braces. Finally a cross brace was attached between the "X"'s and connected with lag bolts.

I don't really like painting furniture, but my wife does so that is why I chose the poplar.

M

McRabbet

Good looking table, Doug! My only suggestions would be to round over the bottom edge of the table top and the ends of the cleats -- a knee hitting them will get less of a dent that way.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Round and sound :icon_thum
I consider the fact it sits firmly on the floor without wobbling a sign of talent. I always have to add a shim or two :rolf:

The whole family will enjoy summer evenings on the porch :mrgreen:

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Good looking table, Doug! My only suggestions would be to round over the bottom edge of the table top and the ends of the cleats -- a knee hitting them will get less of a dent that way.

Hey! I was just going to say that! It would make a difference, especially on the underside of the table. I've seen Doug spend all day with a router, another 5 minutes won't hurt:gar-Bi

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I thought of rounding the bottom edge and cleats. :eusa_thin Maybe I should and will. David you kill me. :rotflm:

Doug

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice sturdy looking table, Doug!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I see a bunch of fine fine meals (w/Doug's grillin' of course) and great get togethers around that table for many years to come!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Please post when it is all finished,

Good Work!

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
I thought of rounding the bottom edge and cleats. :eusa_thin Maybe I should and will. David you kill me. :rotflm:

Doug

Yes you should:wsmile: When in doubt and I really can't be bothered to do something I really know should be done, I get Carol out there and ask her what she thinks and the killer phrase is "Well, if you're happy with it" I then know that I need to do it.... If Carol looked at your table she would say "Well, if you're happy with it" if you asked about rounding the bottom edge. You know what needs to be done...:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS