Rikon lathe 220v help...

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Usually 220 has a neutral and two hot lines. The equipment ground is a fourth wire.
So, L1 and L2 should be hot, N is neutral.
None of the 240v tools in my shop have a neutral. I have a Rikon 70 30-40; it has L1, L2, and a ground, no neutral. My Rikon bandsaw is currently wired for 120v. It has L1, neutral, and ground. If I convert the bandsaw to 240v, the built-in 120v lamp will no longer work because the tool would no longer have a neutral.

Most 240v appliances have a neutral because they either have 120v motors or 120v lighting, or even possibly a 230v outlet. I can't recall any 240v shop tools that used a neutral.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I'll confirm with Rikon tomorrow. I've used the lathe all weekend (with a light on the 110v accessory plug) with no issues.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I'll confirm with Rikon tomorrow. I've used the lathe all weekend (with a light on the 110v accessory plug) with no issues.
If you have wired the lathe for 240v, plug in an inexpensive circuit tester and see if it has an open neutral or if neutral is connected to ground. I suspect that Rikon connected neutral to ground.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
I ordered these lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W11VFP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

and installed one on my bandsaw (wired for 240 VAC). I did have to change the plug, but that's easy to do. Since these are nice and small, I can position them wherever I need on the bandsaw for proper work illumination without worrying about not having a neutral wired to the bandsaw.

With all due respect, do NOT tie the neutral and ground together at the lathe (or other tool). Shortcuts like this create disasters.

Your choices are:

Delete the 120 VAC convenience outlet on the lathe, tape off the neutral connection at the plug, and use the recommended plug

Replace the 120 VAC convenience outlet on the lathe with a 250 VAC outlet (6-15), and install and use a 250 VAC light

Install a NEMA L14-20 four bladed locking plug (rated for 20 amps), and the matching receptacle. The four conductors will provide proper termination for L1, L2, Neutral, and Safety Ground. You will then be able to use the 120 VAC convenience outlet on the lathe for 120 VAC accessories

Regards,

Rick

Ta2Doc

New User
Doc
Interesting... I just talked to Rikon Tech Service about this yesterday. I'm an electronics guy and my high school buddy is an electrical guy. Neither of us could figure out why Rikon specified a Nema 6-20p 3-wire circuit/jack for a 4-wire lathe. So here's the scoop... there are some new/old stock lathes out there that were boxed with erroneous manuals... Actually, now that I think about it, the online version of the manual for my 70-3040 shows the same error.
Bottom line... if your lathe has a 115vac convenience outlet, OR (like mine) has a secondary 24v bed extension motor (which needs 115vac for the 24dc trasformer), you need the neutral from a 4-wire connection. I think the plug designation is a nema 15-20p or something like that. DO NOT tie the whites and greens together.
~doc out!

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Yes.... you are correct, sir and I suppose I should have updated this thread. Rikon admitted that the manual was in error. I've still not changed the plug over as it will require me to run another ground. I only ran a 3 wire bundle in preparation after seeing the manual.
I've tied the white and green together and it has been fine. Seems 50/50 split. Half the folks say the world will end if those are tied and the other half say it's perfectly fine. One day I'll go ahead and re-run wire and put a 4 wire plug on, but for now... it's been chugging along tied.

Ta2Doc

New User
Doc
Yes.... you are correct, sir and I suppose I should have updated this thread. Rikon admitted that the manual was in error. I've still not changed the plug over as it will require me to run another ground. I only ran a 3 wire bundle in preparation after seeing the manual.
I've tied the white and green together and it has been fine. Seems 50/50 split. Half the folks say the world will end if those are tied and the other half say it's perfectly fine. One day I'll go ahead and re-run wire and put a 4 wire plug on, but for now... it's been chugging along tied.
Yep, she’ll run that way. Both sides of the discussion are “right”. There are situations where it’s dangerous, but WG tie was a “standard thing” for a lot of years. I’m more worried about something squirrely happening with the inverter electronics. If I didn’t need the 24v dc motor to extend and retract the bed, I’d probably have tied neutral and ground, but I’d never recommend someone else do it. :)

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Yep, she’ll run that way. Both sides of the discussion are “right”. There are situations where it’s dangerous, but WG tie was a “standard thing” for a lot of years. I’m more worried about something squirrely happening with the inverter electronics. If I didn’t need the 24v dc motor to extend and retract the bed, I’d probably have tied neutral and ground, but I’d never recommend someone else do it. :)
and that seems to be the standard response... 'it'll work and has for a long time, but I cant recommend it'... haha I may just go ahead and tape off the N at the plug and forego the accessory plug. I've had the lathe now for several months and have yet to use it for a light. I've got very good lighting in my shop. Of course as soon as I do, I'll find a need for it! Still, seems to be the easiest route, at least until I get motivated to run a 4th wire and buy the appropriate plugs!

As an aside, the lathe has been great. Plenty of power and has been a joy to turn on!

HLW

Harold
User
and that seems to be the standard response... 'it'll work and has for a long time, but I cant recommend it'... haha I may just go ahead and tape off the N at the plug and forego the accessory plug. I've had the lathe now for several months and have yet to use it for a light. I've got very good lighting in my shop. Of course as soon as I do, I'll find a need for it! Still, seems to be the easiest route, at least until I get motivated to run a 4th wire and buy the appropriate plugs!

As an aside, the lathe has been great. Plenty of power and has been a joy to turn on!
Rob, I've been considering buying the Rikon 70-1824 and will just be using 110v. My questions are: What are your likes and dislikes and where did you purchase it? I'd like to see, touch and feel one before buying. Can't seem to locate one in the AVL area. Thanks.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Rob, I've been considering buying the Rikon 70-1824 and will just be using 110v. My questions are: What are your likes and dislikes and where did you purchase it? I'd like to see, touch and feel one before buying. Can't seem to locate one in the AVL area. Thanks.
Morning, sir. I got mine from Klingspoor, but did have to order it. Took a month or so to get in. I looked all over for one and didnt see one so ordered sight unseen. As far as likes and dislikes, I cant think of any negative other than you will need another person so help unload and set it up. It's been great in all regards for me so far. I see you are in Canton and that's not far from here. You're more than welcome to come by and take a look at it, turn something on it, whatever. I'm available weekends and every other Friday. Tag me in DM if you'd like and we can set up a 'shop day'.

HLW

Harold
User
Morning, sir. I got mine from Klingspoor, but did have to order it. Took a month or so to get in. I looked all over for one and didnt see one so ordered sight unseen. As far as likes and dislikes, I cant think of any negative other than you will need another person so help unload and set it up. It's been great in all regards for me so far. I see you are in Canton and that's not far from here. You're more than welcome to come by and take a look at it, turn something on it, whatever. I'm available weekends and every other Friday. Tag me in DM if you'd like and we can set up a 'shop day'.
Thanks so much for the kind offer, it's something I might consider doing if I can't locate one to try. They seem to be back ordered in most places. I have a Record Envoy and it's a fantastic lathe, just thought I'd take a look at the Rikon if I decide to make a switch. Thanks again, Harold

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors