Rikon bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonc

New User
jak
Does anyone have any good/bad thoughts to share about Rikon?
I've been looking at the 14' bandsaw.I did the search and saw a few people had purchased one in the last 6 months and had good things to say.
I already have a 14" more than 10 years now that's been okay,but the resaw isn't much more than 6.5".
The Rikon goes for $750 and I didn't want to go higher than that.

sawman

New User
Albert
I also have the 18 inch model and it runs well. I had a rubbing noise on the lower wheel when I completed putting it together, called Rikon, they gave me some items to look at and how to adjust it. No problems since then.
I plumbed my dust collection outlets with some thin wall 4 inch pipe so I could hook up to one outlet. You will need a magnetic base light so you can see to cut. The blades are 142 inches and prices run from $29 to $60 depending on what you want.
Keep the 14 inch for small radius work as the narrowest blade I have found so far is 3/8.
That 14 inch saw, can you add a riser block? it could save you some money.
I kept my 12 inch Craftsman for small radius work and since I like to upgrade/retrofit/add/modify I could not afford to to sell it.

Later,
Albert

:saw:

newtonc

New User
jak
I could add a riser block,but with the age of it and the fact the blade tension design was never the best I don't think adding a riser would help the situation.And the HP wouldn't be what it should for that hieght.And with a new motor and riser it would make more sense to get a bigger machine instead.
I was planning on keeping the old one.
I am now looking at the 18".Went to Woodcraft today and saw it.Very nice.If I'm getting a new bandsaw I think the Rikon or Jet 18" is the answer.Probably the Jet.
But now I'm debating another ugrade over the bandsaw.My aging table saw.I don't know which upgrade I want/need more.
But I have purchased a few tools lately.Maybe I should buy a new hunting rifle.My friend from Colorado wants to come out in the fall and go hunting.I should at least have a new firearm to show him.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I have the Rikon 10-325 deluxe, with 13" resaw capacity. It has become one of my favorire tools. I resaw 10-12" blocks with no strain on the BS. As Albert mentioned Rikon support is great if you should have a question or issue.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If it were me, I would get a bigger bandsaw over a tablesaw upgrade. With a bigger saw, I now do a lot of my rough cutting and some of my finish cutting. No kickbacks with a bandsaw. My .02

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If it were me, I would get a bigger bandsaw over a tablesaw upgrade. With a bigger saw, I now do a lot of my rough cutting and some of my finish cutting. No kickbacks with a bandsaw. My .02

I have to agree with Travis. I do ALL of my rough ripping on the BS. I also use it for tenons, curves, taper cuts...soon to add dovetails.

Bigger saws usually have a larger table and can support heavier stock without complaining.

Warning...if you buy a nice bandsaw you are gonna fall in love with it! You are going to wonder how you go along without it for so long. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS