Rikon 70-3040 Lathe & Oneway 24" Coring System

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Does anyone know if the Oneway 24" coring system will work on a Rikon 70-3040 lathe? The reason that I ask is that this lathe has approximately a 23 5/8" swing. I have not read where the 24" Oneway stand has any room for height adjustment. If it doesn't, then the cutter on the Oneway coring tool might be too high relative to the center of the blank being cored to cut/scrape correctly.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
To answer my own question - Frank Drinkwater, a tuner on the Rikon 72-3040 forum on Facebook, said that he is using the Oneway 24" coring system with his Rikon 72-3040 without any issues. He said that there is enough adjustment in the Oneway system to compensate for the lathe not being having a 24" swing.

Coring really sounds like the way to go with banks that are large enough to yield more than one bowl. Of course, if you are making a bowl that does not conform with the profile that the Oneway system cores, you would probably either get fewer bowls out of the blank. Frank also recommended the Hunter Tools carbide replacement cutters.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
It works perfectly, I have been using a Oneway coring system on a 70-3040 for the last year. I even found that I could reduce setup time by cutting a plywood spacer that fits between the headstock and the sliding bed to accurately repeat the spacing from the chuck. I just place the Oneway base at the edge of the top bed, extend the bed out, drop the plywood spacer in, close the bed until it stops, and it's done. Then I only have to move the system toward or away from me to get the cutters aligned to the blank.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
It works perfectly, I have been using a Oneway coring system on a 70-3040 for the last year. I even found that I could reduce setup time by cutting a plywood spacer that fits between the headstock and the sliding bed to accurately repeat the spacing from the chuck. I just place the Oneway base at the edge of the top bed, extend the bed out, drop the plywood spacer in, close the bed until it stops, and it's done. Then I only have to move the system toward or away from me to get the cutters aligned to the blank.
I like your idea of using a plywood spacer to set the Oneway sliding bed. Thanks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS