Rikon 70-1824 lathe

HLW

Harold
User
Does anyone on the site own the Rikon 70-1824 lathe? What are your likes and dislikes about it. I've only been able to find one review, which is on YouTube. Thanks for any feed back.

kreisdorph

New User
Kent
I have one on order but it's been delayed a couple of times. They are currently saying end of May for a ship date but I'm not holding my breath. I like Rikon tools. I'm sure the lathe will be great.

HLW

Harold
User
I have one on order but it's been delayed a couple of times. They are currently saying end of May for a ship date but I'm not holding my breath. I like Rikon tools. I'm sure the lathe will be great.
Kent, where have you ordered yours and where are you located?

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I have one. Have had it for around a year and yes, the only review that I found was the one.
Likes and dislikes. Let me first quantify with that I have only owned two other lathes. A Nova Comet 2 DR and a smaller midi Rikon. I went with the 1824 after my experience with customer support from Rikon with the other lathe. Their customer support is stellar.

I have the 220v version and it has plenty of power. You'd have to really gorilla into it to bog it down. The difference in turning day to day on this late vs the Rikon 14x20 I upgraded from is kind of like going from a small car to a full sized truck in that all the knobs, the adjustments and locking down the tailstock just seems much more secure.
The wiring directions on the 1824 was not quite right for the plug so if you end up getting that one, we should talk. They are aware of the discrepancy and said they will fix the documentation, but in case they havent or you get old stock, just hit me up and I can explain.
I've not used outboard turning on it yet, but I like that it has the availability. Get the mobility kit. It's worth it and makes it very easy to move around if need be.

Dislikes... I'm not sure that I have a dislike at this point. For the price, I found no equal in my research and the nearest competitor had mixed reviews on customer service.

Not sure how much, if any, that I have helped. Now sure where you are, but I'm in Western NC. If you're around this area, you're more than welcome to come give it a go as long as you'll forgive the chaos that is my shop.

Edit... I just looked and see you're in Canton. I'm just a hop away in Barnardsville so you're about 40 min from me. Offer open.

kreisdorph

New User
Kent
I have one. Have had it for around a year and yes, the only review that I found was the one.
Likes and dislikes. Let me first quantify with that I have only owned two other lathes. A Nova Comet 2 DR and a smaller midi Rikon. I went with the 1824 after my experience with customer support from Rikon with the other lathe. Their customer support is stellar.

I have the 220v version and it has plenty of power. You'd have to really gorilla into it to bog it down. The difference in turning day to day on this late vs the Rikon 14x20 I upgraded from is kind of like going from a small car to a full sized truck in that all the knobs, the adjustments and locking down the tailstock just seems much more secure.
The wiring directions on the 1824 was not quite right for the plug so if you end up getting that one, we should talk. They are aware of the discrepancy and said they will fix the documentation, but in case they havent or you get old stock, just hit me up and I can explain.
I've not used outboard turning on it yet, but I like that it has the availability. Get the mobility kit. It's worth it and makes it very easy to move around if need be.

Dislikes... I'm not sure that I have a dislike at this point. For the price, I found no equal in my research and the nearest competitor had mixed reviews on customer service.

Not sure how much, if any, that I have helped. Now sure where you are, but I'm in Western NC. If you're around this area, you're more than welcome to come give it a go as long as you'll forgive the chaos that is my shop.

Edit... I just looked and see you're in Canton. I'm just a hop away in Barnardsville so you're about 40 min from me. Offer open.

It was helpful to me, thanks. I ordered the 110v version because it was going to cost too much to run a 220v line. My current lathe is a starter Wen 14-20 (it's the same as the Bauer lathe HF just released). I'm really looking forward to the Rikon.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
It was helpful to me, thanks. I ordered the 110v version because it was going to cost too much to run a 220v line. My current lathe is a starter Wen 14-20 (it's the same as the Bauer lathe HF just released). I'm really looking forward to the Rikon.
Thank you, sir...
another tip... dont be like me.

Get some help to unload and assemble that beast. I did not. I picked it up locally here at Klingspoor and drove it back, had to unpack in the back of my truck and unload piece by piece and assemble in my shop. Thought I was going to blow out an o ring several times.

Enjoy!! Going to be a big step up from the Wen for sure!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors