ridgid vs delta planer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Since I've decided to hold off on a jointer for now...because I don't want to get one with a small bed that I'll regret getting after a month.

I'm looking at the Delta 13" planer (Model 695865 on Home Depot) and the Ridgid 13" planer. I'm kind of confused as to which way I should go on this. The Delta can cut 90 cpi, while the Ridgid can only cut 66 cpi. But the Ridgid also has a stand, the easiest blade changes of most planers, an extra set of blades come with it, has multiple stops for common board widths, it has the least amount of snipe according to many reviews I've seen... and it's cheaper by $20. Can anyone help with this decision??? I've also thought about the cheaper Delta TP305, but I hear that it has a lot of snipe...which I think is probably due to the small table it has. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

J

jeff...

I've have the delta 13"er, for many years and I've beaten the snot out of it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000648AS/sr=8-1/qid=1154648321/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7950986-6871831?ie=UTF8

Hard to say just how many 1000's of board feet of hard wood rough cut I have planed with it, think I'm on my 14th or 15th knife set. It's paid for it's self many times over and have not had a lick of problems with it. Cept when I first got it and had to replace the motor. If I recall correctly there was some defect, free replacment / still under warranty kinda thing and was easy for me to replace, so no real biggie.

Can't say anything about Ridgid, cause never used one before.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have the Delta 12½" 400LS and it's a great planer. Delta has a proven track record. But I also have Rigid tools and they perform very well also. The higher number of cuts per inch, the smoother the surface is. My Delta has the indexed reversible disposable knives and it only take about 3 minutes to change or flip a set, that is a definite advantage. Rigid supposedly has a life-time warranty....we'll see when a life time is up.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Brian,

If you have access to the April/06 issue if Workbench magazine, they did a comparison of 13" planers.

The Delta 22-580 was run against the Ridgid TP3100LS (and several others - Dewalt, Hitachi, Jet, Craftsman and others).

The Ridgid scored as "Top Value".

Here is what they said about the Delta and Ridgid....

Delta 22-580

Virtues: Good cut quality; decent controls; dual speeds

Vices: Doesn't include a dust hood; Changing blade's is slightly awkward.

Verdict: This is an excellent planer with a couple of minor inconveniences that, once understood, are easy to work around.

Rigid TP3100LS - Workbench Top Value

Virtues: Includes dust hood with two port sizes. Convenient controls; Attractively priced; includes a stand

Vices: Blade changing is relatively difficult

Verdict: This tool requires no additional accessories and performs so well you may never miss the two-speed operation of pricier planers.

I, personally went with the Dewalt 735 (a little more money) but it also got really good reviews. I have only had it a couple of weeks, so I still reserve judgment as to how it will perform over the long haul!

Hope this little blurb from the magazine provides a wee bit more detail regarding 13" planers. (I know of plenty of folks who really like their Delta planers!)

Good luck with your decision.

Wayne

J

jeff...

Sounds like a difficult choice, I'm sure there both pretty good planers. Sounds like your kinda sold on ridgid, but if not flip a coin.

DavidF

New User
David
I have the dewalt 735 and think it's a wonderfully well designed and thought out planer, but if that's not in your budget, I also have the rigid 6" joiner that has been great ,seems very well put together and has performed flawlessly - I am beginning to take rigid tood more seriously since getting this one.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Brian,

I have the Ridgid. I love this tool. It's virtually snipe-free. Very clean smooth cuts. Easy to set up. Ran beautifully right out of the box. I know that Delta makes great stuff too. I happen to have a couple of Ridgid tools and have had good luck with them.

Ray

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
It sounds like you can't go wrong with either planer. One thing you may want to investigate is the price of replacement blades. The Delta's were listed for $35 on the internet, but I couldn't find the Ridgid ones on the HD website. Also you would be limited to buying the replacement blades for the Ridgid at Home Depot. I have bought new Delta planer blades on ebay saving $5-8 over Lowes pricing. Good Luck!

J

jeff...

I can get a delta 13" knife set sharpened for about 20 bucks (both sides). Only good for one sharpening though else they get to narrow, least that's what the guys who sharpens them told me and he would know better than I do.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've had the Ridgid for several years now and have few complaints with it. It is fairly snipe free if used properly (not too deep of a cut) and the blades can be changed in 5-10 minutes easy. The blades are reversable and indexed (no adjusting). It was very easy to set up and worked perfectly right out of the box. Mine gets a lot of use and the only problems I can find are the depth indicator is a little hard to read and the dust collecter can only be attached to one side. If necessary, I would buy another one.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Hmmmm....I'm still confused as to which one I should go with. :eusa_doh: I have almost sold myself on the ridgid, but so many seem to like the Delta. :eusa_thin Anyone here use both and can say whether they like one or the other?

Thanks for all the feedback,
Brian

jglord

New User
John
I also went for the Dewalt 735 and am very pleased with it. It does either 96 or 79 CPI - this because it has three blades. It also has a very powerful dust extraction blower. One of the features I also find very handy is the depth of cut indicator on the front - when I'm doing finishing cuts, I only want to take very fine cuts. Another big difference is the lack of a lock on the planner, most of the others require one to release the lock, adjust the height, lock the tool. The DW735 does not need this because it uses a threaded post at each corner.
I use Dewalt's trash can dust collection and after filling a half dozen 32 gallon cans, I have not turned the blades over to use the second side.
Can't comment on the Delta or Ridgid, but can tell you the Raleigh Woodcraft no longer stocks the Delta, due to poor sales.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS