Ridgid Granite Top Saw ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Anyone else with this saw seen this? it seems I've noticed this for quite awhile, but it wasn't a problem until this weekend. If I'm running a board through for a cut that's at least as wide as the blade insert, everything is fine, If I'm cutting something narrow and the fence is over the insert, then there seemed to be a little click at the end of the cut. The end of the board drops off the table top as it passes over the insert. I never could seem to get it to clear up completely. This weekend using a dado blade, the cut is the right depth until the board drops into the insert area. So. Here's what I found. It appears that when they drilled the granite for the threaded insert for the front bolt that holds the insert, they blew out the hole a little.

IMG_03743.JPG

So when you tighten the insert down, the bottom of the area at the bolt hole on the insert should stop up against the area where the threaded insert is at.

IMG_03753.JPG

But when the insert bolt got tightened, it pulled the insert down into the chipped out area and bent the plate.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/IMG_03764.JPG

So short of calling on my lifetime warranty, how do I bend the plate back and what do I repair the threaded insert hole with? Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom

dsimpson

New User
Dennis
I have that one. I didn't bend the plate that came with it but never could get it level so I made my own from some 1/2" birch plywood. Still required a small shim on the lower left corner as one faces the saw.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
You could fill and level the insert hole with "JB weld".

How out of flat is the insert? If it is not to much you might be able to use a vise to flatten it back. Sort of hard to describe, but put two shims on the top side and one shim on the bottom between the two and slowly close vise.

Might just be easier to make a bunch of new inserts from Baltic Birch ply or HDPE.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to turn it over, put it back in the table and then gently screw it down and see if I can gain any of the bend back. I did cut some blanks for inserts last night. Now I just need to sand corners, drill holes, etc. to get them to fit. Someplace I saw that someone had a set of plans for making the insert and then adding smaller replaceable dovetailed pieces in the middle of the insert. I just need to remember where I saw that.

Thanks,
Tom

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've got the same saw also. I made my own inserts and can level them perfectly. It's the way to go.

Red

Glennbear

Glenn
I have the same saw and agree that the stability of the factory insert leaves a lot to be desired. I used some artificial stone countertop material to make an insert and would suggest some two part epoxy to fix the granite blowout. A bit of hot glue covered with wax paper under your insert may help level things if it cannot be done with the leveling screws. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors