Revised relief carving of the Eiffel Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Delcogliano

New User
Ed
I decided that the carving of the Eiffel Tower was too dark. This is the first time that a carving of Mahogany has turned so dark using Pure Tung oil. I believe it's because the Mahogany was really old and aged. Let me know what you think, I liked it better lighten up. I carved all the background over again.

Attachments

• photo(20).jpg
    photo(20).jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 160
  • photo(19).jpg
    photo(19).jpg
    396 KB · Views: 164

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I agree that your change provides needed contrast and vastly improves the piece. You might consider re-carving some of the details of the tower as well to better highlight the beauty of the structure.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I understand why you did what you did when you decided to re-carve into the project. I do think that there is an improvement in readability. However I also believe that you need to go back in and highlight some details. The left leg of the tower as it faces us is foremost in the relief that's an area that you should highlight, perhaps you can look at some pictures of the tower and see how it's lit at night... maybe pick up some of the light bulbs.

There is something else I thought I would mention, the stark contrast between the dark and Lightwoods makes the side design and top floor at least design seem almost placed on top of the wood. Kind of like cookies on a platter. If you have the depth (of wood) and you're willing to experiment I would play with integrating the side branch design that twists and curves with the rectangular frame around the tower.

A professor once told me when I was resisting going back into a project to experiment and change things that if I wasn't be the artist that I could just make another if I did not like the results I saw. When I complained to him that it wasn't that easy he explained to me that it actually was - you have to have confidence in your abilities. Clearly you are confident and clearly you have ability. I say that you should go back in and play with it.

it's beautiful thank you for sharing and looking forward to seeing some more.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree Ed, you really brought out the subject by "going back in!"

I was beautiful before, but "Striking" after you did what you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS