Request for Winston-Salem area members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Hello all. Sometime within the next month or two or three I will be installing some hardwood floors in my house. I am going to need a moisture meter to check the wood and the underlayment to make sure they are within specs. If possible I would like to borrow a meter from a fellow member. If you have one and would be willing to let me use it, please let me know. I don't need it anytime soon, but I wanted to go ahead and mention it.

Thanks,
Bill M.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
If your house is currently conditioned, moisture for your underlayment should be fine. As for the flooring products... they should also be fine, just make sure to have them delivered about 3 to 5 days before the work starts, and have them stored inside where the work will be done.

how many feet are you doing/having done?

ACobra289

New User
Bill
I am having to pull up the particle board underlayment and replace with 1/2" ply. The flooring is already in the house, so by the time I'm ready to install, it should have had plenty of time to acclimate. I guess I just want to be sure since I spent so much on the flooring.

The total will be around 650 sq ft.

Thanks.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
why not 3/4 ply??? how will you be attaching the new floor to the sub??? I fear that 1/2 will feel rather wimpy and flex more than really comfortable under foot - causing future undesirable squeaking.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I have to agree with NCPete.

I would go with the 3/4". 1/2" I wouldn't think would hold up.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
there is even an option for 7/8" ply for subfloor now. I have walked on it and it felt SOLID. fewer squeaks, too. If I ever build a 'dream' house, that's what it will have underneath a maple floor. don't want any callbacks in my own house

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Traditionally I've found subflooring to be 5/8", When laying out the new floor, it should go across the beams, so if you mark the beams on your subfloor you will know where to put you flooring nails/staples. This way the flooring is nailed to the beams as opposed to the plywood subfloor.

Just something to think about.

Jimmy:)

ACobra289

New User
Bill
The subfloor is plywood. (I believe it's 1/2", possibly more".) On top of that was the particle board underlayment. I was advised by several professional floor installers to remove the particle board as this was not an acceptable underlayment for nailed down wood planks. So with the 1/2" ply I am installing over the subfloor, this will provide approximately 1" of subfloor/underlayment. I believe the minimum recommended is 3/4" So I am a little above that. I am screwing everything, so it should be fairly solid.

Thanks,
Bill M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS