Request for Assistance: South Wake Co.--Sharpening tutor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I would like to know if anyone in the South Wake County area would volunteer an hour or so of tutoring help THIS WEEKEND in the use of a standard bench grinder and a wolverine-style jig... a homemade jig would be MUCH preferred!!

I am planning on making a sharpening jig for my turning chisels. There are a lot of good videos on youtube showing how to use them... and I've found some plans for making them.

I'd like to know if anyone in the Cary/Apex/Holly Springs/Fuquay/Morrisville/New Hill areas wouldn't mind showing me their homemade setup (preferred). I'd like to bring my tools, too, so you can show me how best to achieve the right angles for each type of tool.

I couldn't find any forum prohibition on suggesting beer as a means of compensation for services rendered, so if you are amenable to helping me... just let me know which is your favorite poison. :eek:ccasion1 (I'm gearing up for my annual Oktoberfest for next weekend, so I have beer on the brain).

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm in Sanford, just past New Hill, I have the wolverine jig. Your more then welcome to bring your tools over. PM me if you want to set up a time. I'm headed to Bill's Sat afternoon for some spraying tutoring but other then that I'm pretty open.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Thank you, Rob! I'll let this thread stew until morning, since I know a lot of our folks aren't on late at night. If I don't get anyone with a homemade jig, I'll definitely take you up on the offer. I'll PM you on Saturday. Thank you very much!

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I would help you make a jig, but you will probably find someone closer.
Thank you, Mike. Appreciate the offer. I shouldn't have any trouble actually making the jig, but wanted to see someone's homemade setup to see what they liked about it or what they would change if they made it again.

If you or anyone else here have any comments on their own homemade sharpening jig, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I don't use a jig, I sharpen everything by hand/eye.
Ah. Ok. Good to know. That's what I've been doing... but with varying results. Sometimes I get really good edges, and then for some reason (I think it's because I'm in a hurry), it seems I'm constantly back and forth between the lathe and the grinder. I frequently notice where I may be slightly off on the angle as I enter or finish the grind. I totally understand this is an "experience thing"... and I've been comfortable learning by hand/eye, so I could build that experience. I'm not at the "frustrated stage" at all... but it seemed to me that the jig would provide both the precision AND the speed I was interested in without me chewing up all that steel to get me to the level of experience I need. Hope that makes sense.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Totally understand, just saying I can't help with any jig recommendations or experience because I don't use them.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Just to give you some input . I have a wolverine and FredP helped me make this :

vari-grind4.jpg

View image in gallery

We copied the angle on a spindle gouge I was already comfy with. I am new enough to this that I was able to adapt to this angle for everything . I use it for all my spindle gouges and my bowl gouge . It works extremely well and cost a whole lot less than $50 :gar-Bi
The only thing I would change is the size of the thru-bolt . On a larger gouge it is easy to get the gouge rolled over slightly to one side as the bolt is smaller than the groove. I work around it but it can be a bit irritating :BangHead:

hope this helps some

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have a home made jig. Mine is pretty simple:

For a roughing gouge it works perfectly. But for an Ellsworth style grind I made a mistake with my jig. The front of the platform should be at the front edge of the grinder. You need it this way to grind the wings. Otherwise the table interferes with the handle when grinding the wings. I will be cutting down my table this weekend.

You are welcome to come over to my house some night this week. But note I am a novice as well :). You probably want to find someone with more experience.

Salem

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
The only thing I would change is the size of the thru-bolt . On a larger gouge it is easy to get the gouge rolled over slightly to one side as the bolt is smaller than the groove. I work around it but it can be a bit irritating :BangHead:

hope this helps some
Excellent photos and VERY MUCH appreciated feedback on the thru-bolt. After working with Rob's setup today, I see exactly what you mean. I'll definitely consider that in my design.

THANK YOU, Robert!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Oh... what do you think about the overall size of the block? It's much, much bigger than the clamp in the wolverine system. Some of the plans/videos I've seen are also big like this. The wolverine seems to be only there as an angle setter... and you hold/guide mostly the chisel. With this big block, it would seem you're mostly holding the block. Thoughts?

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Rob-- I wanted to thank you very much for letting me check out your sharpening system and allow me to wear down your wheels! :eek: VERY much appreciated and nice meeting you today. Look forward to getting my lathe chuck all set this week and doing some finish work on my first bowls.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Salem-- thats' exactly what I want to check out... and I'd like to talk about the design issue you mentioned. I'll PM!! Thanks.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Excellent photos and VERY MUCH appreciated feedback on the thru-bolt. After working with Rob's setup today, I see exactly what you mean. I'll definitely consider that in my design.

THANK YOU, Robert!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Oh... what do you think about the overall size of the block? It's much, much bigger than the clamp in the wolverine system. Some of the plans/videos I've seen are also big like this. The wolverine seems to be only there as an angle setter... and you hold/guide mostly the chisel. With this big block, it would seem you're mostly holding the block. Thoughts?

I actually like the size of the block. i have big hands and it is helpful to have something large and weighty to work with. I can swing back and forth very smoothly and with the weight the center of gravity is very pronounced . With the short dowel I can work close to the wheel as the gouge is extended 1- 3/4". I basically just roll it back and forth, let the block do the pivoting and i just guide it. I put one hand on the handle and the other under-hand on the block . Works very well for me :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS