Replacing a Deadbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehpoole

Ethan
a 1" paddle bit will do the job. I've done it thousands of times without issue. about a dollar and maybe 3 seconds time. it aint rocket science folks.

Paddle/spade bits work great for drilling virgin holes in wood, but they are pretty useless for enlarging holes that are already close to the size of the larger bit (especially freehand) since they have nothing to pilot themselves in. You could force such in a drill press, but not a hand drill very well. But it could be entertaining to watch. In this instance the OP is trying to enlarge an existing 15/16" hole to 1".

Generally, the best bets for enlarging a hole already close to the right size would be twist bits (often simplest solution), hole saws, and Forstner bits, though the latter two will require something to pilot or guide them on initial entry (such as a predrilled block of wood to help constrain them while starting the new enlarged hole, after which they will guide themselves the remainder of the way and the guide block can be removed if desired).

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
a 1" paddle bit will do the job. I've done it thousands of times without issue. about a dollar and maybe 3 seconds time.
Fred, how do you keep the paddle bit centered? I'm real curious to try this on a piece of wood that is NOT a door! :)

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
I'd probably try a rounded rasp. Should make quick work of it and will allow you to ease that last 1/16" out. If the door is solid as are your sharpening skills, a round spokeshave might work as well.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Paddle/spade bits work great for drilling virgin holes in wood, but they are pretty useless for enlarging holes that are already close to the size of the larger bit (especially freehand) since they have nothing to pilot themselves in. You could force such in a drill press, but not a hand drill very well. But it could be entertaining to watch. In this instance the OP is trying to enlarge an existing 15/16" hole to 1".

Generally, the best bets for enlarging a hole already close to the right size would be twist bits (often simplest solution), hole saws, and Forstner bits, though the latter two will require something to pilot or guide them on initial entry (such as a predrilled block of wood to help constrain them while starting the new enlarged hole, after which they will guide themselves the remainder of the way and the guide block can be removed if desired).

No offense Ethan but I've installed residential and commercial hardware for over 30 years and enlarging a 7/8" or 15/16" hole to 1 inch with a spade bit is a simple process. It is done this way every day. assuming this is a wood door of coarse.;)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check the latch bolt assembly on your new lock. Many manufacturers install a bushing or sleeve around the bolt assembly that can be slid off allowing the latch to go into a 15/16" hole. Otherwise, it doesn't need to be furniture grade carpentry and any method you prefer to enlarge the hole that doesn't come outside the limits of the mortise will work for the lock.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, how do you keep the paddle bit centered? I'm real curious to try this on a piece of wood that is NOT a door! :)

try it on some scrap. I think you will be surprised how easy it is to do. you are only enlarging the hole by 1/8". that's 1/16" on each side. if you find it hard to center the bit you can use a rasp to enlarge the beginning of the hole to give you a clean start then drill it on out with the speed bore bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors