Renaissance Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I would welcome any practical discussion on Ren wax . I am familiar with it's make up, uses etc but would like to hear from anyone who uses it. Is it worth it ? What are the procedures for applying it buffing it etc and any other tips and/or tricks you may want to share

TIA for any and all input :icon_thum

Rob

New User
Rob
I use it on my pens. Is it worth it over paste wax? I don't know. But a little goes a long way. I just wipe it on after my CA finish, let dry a bit, and buff it off with a paper towel. No trick to it really, but helps protect the CA finish from finger prints during assembly.

sawduster

New User
Robert
that is exactly the kind of real-world advice I am looking for :icon_thum thanx

lathe on or off ? if on, speed when buffing ?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I use it also, but a bit differently than Rob. It does not mold like carnuba can and it WILL keep fingerprints at bay. I actually apply and buff with my flannel wheel, with the lathe spinning at 700ish RPM I do a quick touch to the can of wax, one quick touch and I can buff out an entire bowl.

sawduster

New User
Robert
OK, work with me here .....my diaper is showing :embaresse You touch the wheel to the can while it is spinning ? i have a multi-layered floppy cotton wheel , will this work ?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Yup, that is what I do, just brush the top of the wax with the spinning wheel. Like Rob said a little goes a l-o-n-g way and not enough is better than to much, you can add more. The cotton will work, but usually flannel is what is used for the final buff as it is very soft, and will not damage your previous buff job.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I am not a pen turner, so I cannot comment on using it for that application. However, I have used it exclusively for over quite a few years on all of the furniture that I make. A little goes a long way. I apply a small amount over an area of about 1-2 sq. ft with a small applicator made of 100% cotton just wadded up. I apply it in a circular motion initially, then finish by wiping with the grain. I immediately buff it with a clean 100% cotton or microfiber cloth.

It provides a hard, non yellowing sheen that complements the penetrating oil finishes that I generally use. I have tried a lot of other waxes over the years, and this performs the best for me. The fact that it is used by the British Museum and other conservators of fine wood objects is also a good indication of its quality.

Although it is expensive, the small amount required for proper application mitigates the cost to an extent.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I use it mostly on pepper mills that I take to shows and festivals. It keeps the high number of finger prints from dulling the finish. I just apply by cotton rag after the mill is complete off the lathe, then buff by hand with a cotton knit cloth. I feel like I leave a thicker coat by doing it by hand. I have used it on pens, vases, and furniture.

woodturnerdon

New User
Don
I use it on my bowls etc. where my Beall buffing wheels won't reach. By hand, I can't get the same high gloss a buffing wheel will bring, but it's a beautiful "sheen" instead of "shine". Lasts a long time too. I have one piece about 10 months old and it looks just like I waxed it yesterday.
Don L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS