Remove bit from Dewalt cordless impact drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

garybushey

New User
Gary
All,
I have the Dewalt DC825 cordless impact drill that has a quick release chuck. The only problem is I cannot get the bit out of it. It should pull forward to release the bit but I cannot pull it forward. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If an impact drill/driver is used with a 'soft' bit, the bit sometimes loses its shape and a burr will develop to the point it will seize in the hex slot. Try reversing the drill on a light load for just an instant to see if the bit loosens.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Gotcha6 on the cause. A burr or deformation. Also try a drop of oil and possibly a pair of pliers for that extra "ummph"....

Skymaster

New User
Jack
try pushing the bit against something solid and then try to push the release collar, other thing IF the bit is short, slip a deep socket over it and try tapping it against the collar. WD40 or CRC could not hurt as well

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've twisted a 1/4" socket adapter totally around and broke it off in mine. I had to drill a few relief holes into the broken end of the bit and was able to split it in two pieces. Used a HSS 1/8" bit, drill press and a buddy's steady hand.

Note to self: Don't use 1/4" socket adapters in an impact wrench when you're installing lots of lag bolts into PT lumber.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Another trick that also works on stuck router bits is lightly rap the side of the drill bit.

By light, I mean light. You just want to get some vibration action going. I'll often use a nearby drill bit.

Jim

DaveD

New User
Dave
I don't know about that particular driver but I remember seeing something in the past where one kind of hex driver shank is incompatible with certain chuck types. Has to do with wire detent vs ball detent shanks.They will, absolutely,get stuck.

So the question is....have you successfully used that particular bit in the past?
IF you had a slide hammer you could jerry rig something out of wood to clamp around the collar and then fasten the slice hammer to the wood clamp and hit it with the slide. If I tried that though I'd be 4 hours in to it and find out that I jerked the whole hub out of the driver.

jimNC

New User
Jim
Would it be ridiculous to try some PB Blaster? That along with tapping the bit as someone else mentioned. PB Blaster is absolutely amazing when working on cars.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Use only impact rated hex shank bits in an impact driver. The difference (at least in my experience) seems to be that the impact rated shank is hardened to resist distortion from the impact action. I have had some non impact rated hex shanks become galled using them in my impact driver. Sounds like that may have been what happened here. Since I have gone to impact rated I have had no more issues.

Getting it out? All of the suggestions so far have worked for me. You may have to end up clamping the protruding shank in a vise and gently...GENTLY...and slowly reverse the driver. If you have enough trigger control bump it one impact at a time. Try releasing the bit after each attempt.

MTCW. HTH. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors