Red Oak Hardwood Floors vs. Big Dog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sediener

New User
Steve
We bought our house about a year ago and had them put a couple extra coats of polyurethane on the hardwood floors hopefully to protect them from our 75lb golden. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have done any good, when I do get this floor refinished in a few years, is there anything that I can do to protect them short of moving the dog outside permanently?

thanks,
Steve

DavidF

New User
David
We bought our house about a year ago and had them put a couple extra coats of polyurethane on the hardwood floors hopefully to protect them from our 75lb golden. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have done any good, when I do get this floor refinished in a few years, is there anything that I can do to protect them short of moving the dog outside permanently?

thanks,
Steve

Please don't move the dogs outside - fix the floor problem:eusa_pray

Here is another recent thread on the subject.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9014

sediener

New User
Steve
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. She's housebroken but her nails have destroyed the finish. I guess there's nothing that can be done other than keeping her nails really short.

- Steve

DavidF

New User
David
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. She's housebroken but her nails have destroyed the finish. I guess there's nothing that can be done other than keeping her nails really short.

- Steve

Believe me I know about dog claws and h/w floors. :crybaby2: Later on in that thread the subject turns to claws and the fact that there is no cure.........:lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
is there anything that I can do to protect them short of moving the dog outside permanently?

thanks,
Steve

Carpet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless you want to replace your existing flooring with a factory prefinished kind, no "home applied" finish will stand up well to that abuse. It's all part of the joys of dog ownership. A good deep sanding and re-finishing before you go to sell later, will cure most evils.

MTCW,
Dave:)

Dave

newtonc

New User
jak
Now I will not pretend this is a serious solution to your problem...but it is true.
I lived in Colorado for ten years and the wet spring snows would cake in dog paws and eventually make them bleed.Or worse,you come inside and then the dog chews apart their own paw pads trying to get the ice out.
So my Australian Shepherd(who is still with me and 15) and I would hike/snowshoe (depending on the weather) every day.So we had to use dog snow booties.They are available from just about any outdoor outfitters.Try Campmor,one of the best around,and if you ever make it up to NJ it is worth stopping in their store.
But my dog would never keep her booties on indoors.
Maybe you would have better luck.
Again...I don't think having your dog wear "slippers" in the house is a serious solution.
Wish I could give a serious one.

sediener

New User
Steve
I had considered the booties but figure they would get eaten off before I got home from work the first day the dogs wore them. Our golden has eaten more "indestructible" toys that I can count.

I guess I'll just have to go with DaveO's plan and refinish the floors once we move out.

thanks for the replies,
- Steve

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Even a factory-applied finish won't withstand the damage from a large dog's nails. BTDT.

Put area rugs in strategic locations in the hopes of minimizing the damage.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS