Recommendations: Cleaning machine tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I have used the following with fairly good success keeping my CI tops (tablesaw, Jointer, bandsaw, SC) clean and rust free.

I use Mothers mag wheel cleaner applied with a green scotchbrite pad and a random orbit sander. Don't go overboard with the mag cleaner but if it looks like you are buffing dry, add a little more. There is no going through the grits, just use the green. Once you have the level of cleanliness you are after, wipe all surfaces with a clean rag and either acetone or MS. You may have to repeat this a couple of times to get all the black residue off the top and out of the steel pores. Once you have a clean top, add either Johnson paste wax or Ren wax, let dry and buff. I used to have lots of problems keeping rust off my tools but since I started to use this method, I go months on end without any rust, staining, etc. Once you get it clean, it doesn't take much work to maintain the "look". Now mind you, this works for me, and I am only offering this as another method to consider. I have been the Boeshield, Topsaver route and quite frankly I think they both are worthless at keeping rust off tools. Again, my opinion. If you are interested, you can find the Mothers stuff at the local auto parts store. The mag cleaner costs about 4.00.
(Note: my shop is only heated when I am there. I heat with a propane forced air blower.) Reason I mentioned this is because some believe that propane / keorsene put moisture in the air and hence promotes rust.

Mike

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I second Mike's rec. for Mother's Polish. I tried sand paper+WD-40, Green Pads + WD-40 and green pads + a special metal cleaning solvent I picked up at the MWTCA meeting which worked pretty good. Then tried the Mag polish on the bad stains (previous owner must have used the top as an assembly table and the right extension table as a bar:roll: ). I used elbow grease and an old Tshirt. Not quite a mirror finish but it sure shines. Prior to doing this I contacted the main office of Mother's and talked to their chemist about the silicone content of their polishes. He told me that they do not use any silicone in their polishes. He also said not to waste my money on their Billet polish as it would not make that much difference on CI. I maintain it with a good spray of Junquecol's mix of 1/2 block of grated Gulfwax disolved in 8oz of MS in a spray bottle when I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS