Recommend 3x21 belt sander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I found a nice Makita at the pawn shop a few years back. It has served me well. Don't know what they sell for new, but it is a workhorse.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
4x24 is a better solution if you can swing the extra cashola.:icon_thum wider gives better control IMO. I have a 12 year old makita 4x24 that I haven't been able to kill so far. narrower belt sanders can get tippy. heavier is better too. more lifting required but better control. you can ruin a nice piece with a belt sander in a hurry.:gar-Bi DAMHIKT.....

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a couple of PC 3 X 21's. One is variable speed, and the other isn't. If you watch CL, they pop up occasionally. A word of warning on belts. The little piece of Kelvar used to put them together has a limited life, so don't stock up too heavily. The few belts I need, I pick up from DJ's Tools at the fairgrounds flea market. He carries Klingspor's for about a buck each.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Bosch 1274DVS

Besides being a solid working tool, its box shaped. Flat top.

It clamps easily to the bench top.

While I appreciate a sleek aerodynamic design with fancy colors, not much I can do with a round shape.

Jim

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you can find one, a Ryobi that has the motor between the rollers, I think the model number was 321 or something like that, is nice and inexpensive. I bought one reconditioned and it works well. The dust pickup into a bag even gets most of the dust.

Jim

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
+1 on the 4X24. It makes it a lot easier to get flat boards.

bobby g

A 25 lb. 4x26 is even better. The three smaller 3x24's are for light work.
OBTW, a 25 lb 4x26 isn't a good choice for drywall work.

PCsanders.jpg

Balance is a big factor. Be sure whatever you get has a balance point in the center of the platen unless you like the Nike Swoosh when you change directions.

sanderbal2.jpg

sanderbal1.jpg

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a 30 year old Craftsman 3 x 21 you can have for free but it needs one of the 2 rollers replaced. It still works but the roller has worn down on one side making it tapered.
I have a newer PC 4 x 24 I got on a close out at Lowes for some ridiculously low price but it has a short and won't work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors