Ready For A Dewalt DW735

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I'm ready to get the DW735 at Lowes.
I'd appreciate any reviews/opinions by owners before jumping in. :eusa_thin:eusa_thin
Thanks

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
It is a great machine and I really like the way mine works. However, the blades are expensive! If I had it to do again, I'd bite the bullet and get a planer with the shelix head. It would have paid for itself already.

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
The blades have lasted me a long time.

I've ran several 2" maple end grain butcher blocks through it taking very light passes with minimal to no tearout.

bwat

New User
Bill
At the rates you can find the DeWalt #735 at big box stores and used deals it is hard to beat and make a good unit accessible to small shops. Aftermarket spiral heads are so expensive that you'd be better off looking at a free standing unit. I love the fact that it is small enough for my shop yet powerful enough for anything I've thrown at it. At $55 the reversible blades last a reasonable time. Infinity offers longer lasting upgrade blades as well. With the exception of a few highly figured woods mine has served me well and gets a thumbs up for the money. :icon_thum

Of course if the cash and space are available there are lots of deals out there on used planers but few have spiral heads and the cost of an upgrade lend one to buy a new unit equipped with your choice of cutter heads. IMHO...

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
these are great machines, i love mine as does my friend who's had it in his shop for the last year or so.

it's a dandy machine for the $$.

i'd suggest you scour craigslist, ebay, ncwwer, etc for a used one before buying new though. these come up with great frequency.

DavidF

New User
David
I love this machine. The 2 speed option is great and the finish is superb on the slow speed. The powerd extraction is brilliant as well. I got my last blades at Lowes for about $35 using one of the discount coupons you can find at the post office. Get the in/out feed table additions, that make a world of difference. I have had mine about 3 years and only just bought the second set of blades so Cost of ownership is very low.

M

McRabbet

I have been very happy with my venerable old DW733 and some WW colleagues in my area report happy times with their DW735's. The only drawbacks are the added costs for the infeed and outfeed tables and the throw-away blades that cost more than the blades for my unit (which can be resharpened at least 3-4 times).

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I own a 735 and FOR THE MONEY I don't believe you can beat it! My old woodworking partner also owns one and it has planed many thousand feet of cypress and cedar, and a fair amount of oak. Blades are reversible and you can buy them from other sources. I give it a big THUMB"S UP!! :icon_thum
:wsmile:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I started with the 735 and have upgraded twice .... but none have cut as nicely as the 735. A beautiful finish every time. It's loud as all get out ... but some ear muffs and you're set. Keep the cut on the light side and it'll last you a long time I bet.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks folks, I appreciate the replies. The 735 is in the shop mounted to the Ridgid MSUV and I told Tina I wouldn't have bought it except for you guys! :)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ken, check Infinity for blades when you need 'em. Better quality, lower price. Might even be heavy enough to sharpen.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Congrats Ken!
When (and you will) you get a nick in the blades it's an easy fix to loosen one blade and slide it about 1/16" to one side, re-tighten, and as my Kiwi co-workers say "Bob's yer uncle!" The nick is canceled out.
Get in the habit of rough cutting first and then doing your planing on the small pieces and the blades will hold up much longer.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I have been very happy with my venerable old DW733 and some WW colleagues in my area report happy times with their DW735's. The only drawbacks are the added costs for the infeed and outfeed tables and the throw-away blades that cost more than the blades for my unit (which can be resharpened at least 3-4 times).

you can get 1 sharpening out of the 735 blades, so that's 4 times since they are reversible.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
you can get 1 sharpening out of the 735 blades, so that's 4 times since they are reversible.

Phil, who do you get to sharpen them?:dontknow: I can't find anyone who will touch them due to the thin material. Course I ain't in Charlotte! LOL! :wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
^5 Ken
I imagine you'l be quite happy with the unit. I am with mine.
I found it on sale at Lowes, and saved enough to buy the Delta stand that adjusts, folds, rolls, tilts to store etc. I did have to make a mount (<24x24 3/4" ply) for it. no biggie.
For my needs (and then some) its a great tool and was a bargain. Its more that paid for itself.
Only suggestion I have is to check your wood carefully before you run it through. Rocks, sand, metal etc will eat up ANY brand's blades. HF had a sale on their hand held metal detector for well under $100, it also more than meets my needs.

Glennbear

Glenn
Good luck with it Ken, I love mine :eusa_clap I wipe down my stock with a damp rag and use the HF wand type metal detector Andrew mentioned since most of my wood is recycled and grit and tramp metal are possible blade crunchers. I adapted a Ryobi MS stand to hold mine in lieu of in/out tables and it has worked well. :wsmile:

tommyt654

New User
tommyt654
If I was you I would look at all the Home Depots 1st as they are clearancing them out. I got 1 for $137, 2nd if you can,t find one wait awhile. Lowes has begun to drop the pricing on these as new models will soon be arriving and like HD they are dropping the price to sell more of the 734 as it is priced lower and more marketable.:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS