Re-introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
It's been a while since I was last a regular, so I'm sure I've been lost in the misty water-colored memories of the way we were....

Sorry.

Anyway. I'm the father of a 12-year-old so I'm starting to get a tiny bit of time to call my own. I'm back in the shop for my first non-cane project in a long time. (canes are easy to squeeze in in-between cooking dinner and helping with homework and keeping down a job and mowing the lawn, etc...)

I'm building a standing clerk's desk like you see Bob Cratchett using in A Christmas Carol. It's basically a box with a slanted top on legs. The top opens and there's a small shelf on the very top at the back for holding ink wells, pens, candles etc... I'm making this as a prop for the ballet my wife is producing so it's dimensional pine, putty and paint. Quick, and cheap is the name of the game, but it's been fun regardless of how quickly I have to make something "good enough." No fancy joinery, and since I only have hand tools (my workshop is a spare bedroom), I'm using the olde-tyme technique of nailing the box together.

Anyway, as the woodworking juices start to flow again, I wanted to come back and hang out a little 'mongst y'all. Nice to be back.

BTW, I still have that massive slab of quarter-sawn red oak I bought back during the workshop crawl in 2009. It's been sitting in my lumber rack for 8 years. Think it's acclimated yet?

Andrew
Durham

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome back, Andrew.

Yep, I think that slab is acclimated to the storage area but not to your workshop - unless, of course, you have it stored in the spare bedroom.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
I do have a small wood-rack in the spare bedroom. I know, I'm one lucky so-and-so. So, it's been inside, in climate controlled environment for eight years. Maybe if this trial desk goes off well, I may have to convert the oak into a real one. Or at least the top.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome back Andrew, we all understand and respect family first. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the desk.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Glad you're back Andrew! I too look forward to seeing some pictures of your project. It's good to see an old acquaintance in the saw dust pile! Happy sawdusting!:icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors