RAS table suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
My radial arm saw needs a new top. The one that was on it when i got it was 1" thick flake board with a hard finish on one side. It may have been the original. It had had it so I replaced it with a free piece of formica (?) countertop laminated over the same kind of board. Now it's sagging and needs to be replaced.
Suggestions on replacement welcomed. I was about to use a piece of 5/8 plywood but I can see it's not sturdy enough to not sag also. I thought about reinforcing it with some 2 x 2, but it would be nice to have one solid top with no future worry about sagging or other movement.
Cheap would be good too. Thanks.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm in the same boat. Don't have a great answer, but hope other RASers will.

I can safely say ordering a new one from Sears is NOT a cheap option.

Jim

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
If it's an older Craftsman RAS, and it's on their recall list, then you can order the safety upgrade and it comes with a new table all for free.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
When I had my old DeWalt RAS I took a class with Wally Kunkel (Mr. Sawdust). Wally was the lead sales guy for DeWalt from the late 50's till the 80's. He was a wizard w/a RAS. http://www.mrsawdust.com/

His recommendation was to laminate two pieces of 3/4 ply or mdf and then put a sheet of 1/4 hardboard (Masonite) held on with brass pins (this way you can replace the top as it gets worn).

I'd also recommend getting his book on how to setup/tune and use a RAS.

Dan C.

Dragon

New User
David
Don't know where you folks are in reference to Lincolnton but I happen to have a few workbench tops that just might fill your bill. Have a look in my photo gallery in the latter pages. PM me if you see anything you like.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
+1 for Kunkels book. You can also check the Dewalt RAS forum over on Delphi(?). And yes, If your saw qualifies for the recall you can get a new top along with a new guard.

As far as the top goes. How much you put into it kinda depends on what you want to do with it. If you are just using the saw like a chop station then I would put the bare minimum into it. If you want to use it as a precision cutting surface then you need a dead flat top and the saw will need to be fully adjusted. Your call.

You might want to wander through the OWWM site to get some ideas.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it's a Craftsman with the blade height adjustment wheel below, be sure you rout out a relief area above the crank. It'll save ya some skint knuckles. I had an older model I replaced the top on with clear fir BITD.
I'd go the 2 plies of PW & masonite sacrificial top if I did it today. You might even consider 1 ply of PW & 1 under sealed MDF.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Surles in Angier (a salvage place) used to have a BUNCH of 1" MDF, which would be perfect for a table for a RAS. You could use either 3/4 MDF, or plywood, and skin it on BOTH sides with 1/4" tempered hardboard. As for sagging in the center, my old Craftsman saws have an adjusting screw there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS