Raleigh Southside Shop Crawl Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am working on the package and hope to have it finished this weekend. I still need to add a lunch stop. I may send out the package without a lunch stop and we'll stop on the fly. We'll see. Do do drop outs and additions the iternary has changed. If I did not include your shop, it is nothing personal. I am trying to create the best path possible.

Scott Smiths
Joe Scharle
GeorgeL
Dan Bowman
Woodrat
JimmyC
DaveO
Phil S.

We will spend more than the normal alotted time of 1 hr, for the sawmill. There will be some rules as follows:

1. Everybody should wear long pants, and close-toed shoes. Boots would be best, but no sandles, etc. Sawmills tend to throw chips, etc off of the side, and it's not unusual to be struck by a chip if you're standing too close.
  2. EVERYBODY needs to bring eye protection, and ear protection would also be a good idea. I don't have enough safetly glasses on hand to provide for all.
  3. I may be able to allow individuals to operate the sawmill and mill a board or two. I'm still thinking this though, but am inclined to offer it. Anybody so choosing MUST have on boots and heavy pants - such as jeans.
  4. Water is used as a blade lubricant, and it tends to get slung off of the blade while cutting. The sawyer usually gets wet from the belt down. I have chaps that I use, and will make available to the millers, but odds are that the bottom of their pants will still get wet. Forewared is forearmed...
Please send me and problems ASAP!!!(Especially hosts).
Doug

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
It looks good to me Doug. As far as the lunch goes, if no one chooses a place there are many at the 40/42 intersection to choose from just before we get to Archie's (woodrat) shop. Here are a few places at that intersection:

Cook-Out Grill
Andy's
Cracker Barrel
Wendy's
Burger King
Mc Donalds
KFC/Taco Bell
Bojangle's
Dairy Queen
Cleveland Ale House
plus many more places including the hot dog cart at Lowe's:gar-La;

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Afew more stops for the run:

Smithfields Chicken 'n BBQ
Golden Corral
and a Chinese restaurant and Italian restaurant, of which I can't remember their names.

Jimmy

M

McRabbet

The group needs to buy lunch for the person coming the greatest distance for the crawl -- can anybody top my 240 miles? :gar-La;

GeorgeL

New User
George
I still need to add a lunch stop. I may send out the package without a lunch stop and we'll stop on the fly. We'll see.

Doug

Doug,

I'm all in for stopping for lunch on the fly. Maybe we can split-up around lunch time and regroup at a predetermined location.

George

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Not to side track this thread but :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc I get to make this one.

tv

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Is it BYOL (Bring Your Own Log)? Never seen a sawmill before, sounds like fun! I'm more than 50% sure I can make the crawl, so sign me up! (I'll send you a PM too)

J

jeff...

When is it? I like to get wet from nasty log juice as long as it's not sticky pine juice :tongue2:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, I certainly won't object if anybody wants to bring their own log! However, I have plenty on hand that can be donated to the cause.

Jeff - just in your honor, I think that we'll carve up a big 'ol sycamore log that I've been sitting on for a few months! Unless you'd really like to play with some nice, gooey pine sap...

J

jeff...

Jeff - just in your honor, I think that we'll carve up a big 'ol sycamore log that I've been sitting on for a few months! Unless you'd really like to play with some nice, gooey pine sap...

Cool - busting into a big ole sycamore - when's the party? gooey pine sap :tongue2: might as well take a shower in turpentine.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, I think that Doug has the shop crawl scheduled for 9/25. Hopefully you'll be on hand to show us how to quartersaw a sycamore!

SS

Glennbear

Glenn
Has an attendee list been started yet ? I am making a journey to AL between now and then and if I don't get blown to Canada by whatever the current hurricaine, tornado, typhoon, tsunami etc. is happening out there I would like to attend the southern crawl so I can get more ideas on what I am doing wrong as I complete my shop setup :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, I certainly won't object if anybody wants to bring their own log! However, I have plenty on hand that can be donated to the cause.
I was kidding, assumed it was obvious. But, on second thought, this crowd _would_ in fact bring its own timber :)

Of course, I don't even have any logs of my own. I could glue some of jeff's RO diving boards back together, but it's not the same.... :no:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
"Jeff, I think that Doug has the shop crawl scheduled for 9/25. Hopefully you'll be on hand to show us how to quartersaw a sycamore!"

NO it is 9/27!

Glennbear and anyone else wanting to attend, send me youe email if you havent already if you want to attend. It is the only way to send you the crawl package!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS