Quick Projects

ste6168

New User
Mike
A few quick, relatively simple projects I have completed recently. Sometimes these quick builds are great!

Friend of mine wanted to build a lego/activity table for his son, asked for my help. Didn't want/need anything fancy due to the inevitable abuse a kid will put on it. Drew up a quick proof-of-concept in Fusion360 and he and I made the table in about 4 hours. He finished it with a few coats of wipe-on poly and stuck down the lego plates with carpet tape. Overall dimensions are about 25"x35"x22". Made from one sheet of 3/4" birch ply.

Oc0pwq4.jpg

xhRi7vr.jpg

A neighbor removed the carpeting from his steps, and put down some 'Retrotreads' and gave me these red oak cut-offs from doing so. Threw together this quick edge-grain cutting board this evening. Nothing complicated, a bunch of strips glued together, finished with mineral oil. Final board dimensions are about 10.375”x16”x1.125”. First cutting board I have ever made. LOL

elZLcKI.jpg

cWZcwuf.jpg

PiagsaD.jpg

ste6168

New User
Mike
How are the legs attached to the table top/tray?

xhRi7vr.jpg

Just glue, Titebond 3. I thought about reinforcing it with a screw or two, under the play surface, but I didn't really think it was necessary. I built my outfeed table and an outdoor toy box, that sits on our front porch, a while back and they both seem to be holding up fine (but, they don't have a toddler crawling around on them). Maybe could have done a dowel or something... Thoughts?

3YkLSfL.jpg

ogz6qRX.jpg

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've read here that the glue joints are stronger than nails or screws, so you should be good to go. However, I'm not the one to ask!

ste6168

New User
Mike
As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've read here that the glue joints are stronger than nails or screws, so you should be good to go. However, I'm not the one to ask!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. A lot of glue surface in that 'joint' and its plywood, so VERY minimal wood movement (if any). My guess is it will be fine for many years to come. If it fails, oh well, they can re-glue it then. lol

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, the cutting board looks real nice. Just be aware that red oak has open pores so it might wick up something from the end grain.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS